It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: silver dollars and altum
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:47 pm 

hi

bought 9 silver dollars this morning to put in my altum tank but i already got doubts
right now.

Are they finn nippers? Haven,t seen it yet but they are very lively fish ,they swim like crazy (like piranhas attacking)and might stress the altum.

They also eat very fast and the altum look at the food like" is it gone already? we haven,t even started yet."

maybe some members here have experience with silver dollars together with altum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:19 pm 
Website Development

Andries wrote:
hi

bought 9 silver dollars this morning to put in my altum tank but i already got doubts
right now.

Are they finn nippers? Haven,t seen it yet but they are very lively fish ,they swim like crazy (like piranhas attacking)and might stress the altum.

They also eat very fast and the altum look at the food like" is it gone already? we haven,t even started yet."

maybe some members here have experience with silver dollars together with altum

I have considered it from time to time, but I always thought they required too much space to cohabit with a peaceful, slow moving fish like the Altum. I'm not totally sure they're fin nippers. I would advise against this. However, if they don't give any issue to the Altum, it might be worth it to at least see how it works long term.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:17 am 

HI I would not touch altums and silver dollars together with a ten foot pole..your apprehension is well founded. Too big,too fast too much extra bioload.

By the way,I have five 2.5 year old Acaricthys Hekeli that I purchased small as wild to go with a group of altum that did not make it in 2012. I now do have 6 months old altums and could put them together theoretically. THe heckeli are gentle enough souls and would compete about equally in vigor at feeding time with the altums. They are, I'd bet, way better tank mates than silver dollars would be. However ,they are just too big at a beefy 7 inches and their bioload is pretty large. They are in a lightly planted 180 display that I have that they have stolen and just the heckeli with assorted tetras completely fill the tank..you can't put anything else in it.
To get the altums and the heckeli together long term and successfully you would need a 10 foot public aquarium tank..same with your altums with a good school of big silver dollars. I also ,ten years ago had eleven 2.5 year old altums in that tank. It was packed and they were well on their way to outgrow it and so I donated the altums to the Cleveland Zoo.(where I never saw them in very limited looking)
Sorry for running on..just sharing one of my 9 million mistakes with you. Al

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:04 am 
Administrator

I agree, even if in nature you have similar Metynnis sp. (as Silver Dollars) and other similar serrasalmidae (pirahna/pacu family members) inhabiting the same waters, in a tank, altum and other calmer, slower moving fish can potentially become their victims, not only due to food competition issues, but can actually end up being badly nipped and then...

Though even the more herbivorous serrasalmidae (pacus) are not known to normally attack other fish, I have seen it happen. As a matter of fact, much smaller characins, especially when in schools, can get nasty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:30 am 

i took the silver dollars out so the altum have a nice and calm life again ,much better!!!!!
learned somehting again!!!!!!!!never too old for that!