It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Red eyes
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:06 pm 

I have been interested in polymorphisms in Pterophylum and other cichlids and the redeye trait soon caught my eye. Thanks Ed for reporting on fully red eyes in altums in prime condition. I intend to do some crosses in domestic scalare if I can ever get my hands on a strain with the silver wild type barring pattern and no red in the eyes. Anyhow I'd like to report some observations based on my fish. Some juvenile silver pearlscates developed half redeyes when they matured to about 1 & 1/4" body diameter. After about ten minutes after lights-out the red is torally washed out and the sclera is yellow. The same thing happens with my altums which also normally have the back half of the eye red. My Peruvian F1's have full ruby red eyes during the day-after lights out the red is absent in the front half of the eye and quite faded but still present in the rear. A similar fading after dark occurs in my Uarus-some completely converting to yellow. In daylight the rear of the eye is red the front yellow with a more gradual transition between back & front than in angels. I have three species of Mesonauta-acora which is yelloe eyed, mirifica which is red and another which I'm unsure of but I think is insignis -also red. In my single mirifica male the lower half!! of the eye retains red after dark (go figure). In my 4 insignis?? the red that remains after dark is a thin red arc at the back of the eye. My pair of heros(sp) have fiery back-half red grading to yellow during the day. At night the sclera is a dull greyish yellow. Now I'm going to turn in and stop harrassing my poor fish by sticking a flashlight in their faces.

bon nuit

Dennis

Post subject: re: Red eyes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 pm 
Administrator

This is definitely one of the most interesting notes I have read on eye color "function" in cichlids.
May it be that the red color "iris" has a photoreactive function of some kind?
Could it be that species from darker "blackwaters" have a more or less chromatically pigmented iris?

A similar discussion went on I think at Simply Discus regarding Heckel Discus. Certain judges at Discus Championships seemed to be of the opinion that true Heckels did not have red eys, whereas Heiko Bleher differed with that rather general opinion. In this sense I can say my Nhamunda pair generally have full red eyes, but they can go darker, almost black at times. Proper water quality, feed and a warm temp always makes them happy and their eyes look like rubies.

As to altum, the last time I saw a whole bunch with red eyes were those big ones I had, previously owned by Dennis (Chang) and Michelle.

This group which is about 75% grown has only eventually shown a half red eye.

Great info Dennis, will be observing the eyes of my fish a bit closer... but I won't scare the crapp out of them with a flashlight like a bored cop looking for sweethearts in a back seat.

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:52 pm 

Thanks Ed-I know that was rude of me and to be honest I would have been delighted to see some cuddling-but alas they just reacted as if Iwas some kind of nutso freak. I confess that after my initial peak I got really interested and had many questions so kept going back for another look. Anyhow it gave them something to talk about and they still came out for their bloodworm feed today. I'll let them get a good nights sleep tonight.
The functional significance does elude me but it's hard to believe it means nothing.

Dennis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:04 pm 
Administrator

Oh, don't worry...it's just that everytime I associate the words flashlight with eyes... I get bad memories of good days long back. Cops should concentrate on the real bad guys.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:09 pm 

Agreed-but its a bit like taxes-no fun to pay but good be in a position to owe them -if you weren't having those good times there would be no opportunity for the flashlight harrassment-but I digress

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:16 pm 
Administrator

I agree. Reading this to have a better general understanding.
http://www.earthlife.net/fish/sight.html

But this is definitely one factor that could serve as an "unmasking trait" to a certain extent. If a fixed full red eye P. altum bloodline hits the market "Beware!".

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:18 am 

Hi guys!

One thing I noticed raising my altums was that when they started developing the red coloration in theirs eye's iris was that the red began showing in the rear, upper side of the eyes or close to the 10 O'Clock position when seen from the right side.

As the fish mature, the red start showing more toward the rear center of the iris or around and between 9 and 11 O'Clock position. In my altums the red coloration in their iris never developed to the point of covering 50% of it. It showed in about 20 to 33% of the circunference of iris.

This may or may not be important, but if someone has altums with red coloration covering the iris 50% or more this could represent a different subgroup/type in this spp.

Eduar

Last edited by Acualtum on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:18 pm 

Hi Eduar,

I think mine are about the same -red fron 2-5~6 on the clock face. The red basicallly continues until it is intsersected by the eye bar.
Dennis