It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hyphessobrycon sweglesi
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:02 am 
Administrator

The Red Phantom Tetra. Another natural that coinhabits with P. altum throughout the general distribution area of the latter. Very peaceful, large enough to not be easy prey for larger altum, bright enough (when well fed) to bring life to the aquarium. Small groups, 6-12 look really nice.

Ed

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:33 pm 
Global Moderator

Hi Ed,
I find it interesting that sweglesi are conspecics of altums. The "authorities" recommend to keep red phantoms on the cool side unlike the black phantoms which seem to handle warmer water.
Larry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:55 am 
Administrator

And the "authorities" are pretty much correct. You'll find altum very happily swimming at 78-82F. You'll read reports on collections of altum made at discus loving temperatures - and ocassionally this happens. Mother Nature also seems to have her accidents in the kitchen now and then, floods displace fishes to places they're not really comfortable in and where, if they could choose, would rather get out of.

I have collected altum in smaller numbers in ponds that have been cut off from mainstreams or slow moving marshes in the low water (dry) season where temperatures exceed 85F - the fish are stressed right in the water, you can see they just don't belong there. Unfortunately this is when most collections are made because they are easier to catch.

Of course, in an aquarium, 78F for general maintenace of an altum aquarium will bring the closed environment into a range that is also very comfortable for an array of pathogens.

To try and breed them, you will need to use temperature as a tool and 72F will be within the play range. I hope no one interprets that I am suggesting bringing down an altum aquarium to 78F or 72F, there are too many things to consider before attempting this. Most likely, if we try these temperatures in an aquarium, will end up with ich, worms and a batch of immune system affected fish.

In nature, altums are submitted to these temperatures for a couple of hours every few days when downpours are severe in the wet season. In the same day, the water can reach 82F or they can swim to sunnier, shallower spots if they want to chill off.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:02 am 
Founder

This corresponds interestingly with Granville's tactic of cooling the water at water change time and then letting it come back up.
It certainly figures, providing the fish are healthy and in a clean tank environement.
Alec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:19 am 

Good points - we cannot rely soley on capture locale parameters to determine the best environment or food.

If fish are caught in drying-out puddles that doesn't mean they like them.

Wolves found with only a few mice in their stomach and some gnawed up bone fragments does not provide proof that this is the best diet for them either.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:17 am 
Founder

So right Dave, but I suspect that where and when they are caught can influence the condition of the fish and it's survival chances considerably.
Alec

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:30 am 
Global Moderator

I fnally got around to buying a group of H. sweglesi for one of my breeding projects this winter. Last year I raised a bunch of black phantoms and H. amandae. I like my discus , kill my angels but enjoy the challenge of breeding tetras and pencils. I raised Beckfordi last year as a practicr run before I try trifasciatus.
I had a disasterous loss of 8/20 leopoldi. Funny how I have no troublr with Heckels but the wild angels have'nt generally done very well for a lot of us this season. My leopoldis died as if they had a slow poison in them and they were the only fish I had so much trouble with this summer of shipping to my little corner of paradise.
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:00 am 
Global Moderator

I fnally got around to buying a group of H. sweglesi for one of my breeding projects this winter. Last year I raised a bunch of black phantoms and H. amandae. I like my discus , kill my angels but enjoy the challenge of breeding tetras and pencils. I raised Beckfordi last year as a practicr run before I try trifasciatus.
I had a disasterous loss of 8/20 leopoldi. Funny how I have no trouble with Heckels but the wild angels have'nt generally done very well for a lot of us this season. My leopoldis died as if they had a slow poison in them and they were the only fish I had so much trouble with this summer of shipping to my little corner of paradise.
Larry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:07 pm 

what's the deal with the different dorsal fin colours...all red. black , or black with white..out of the whole group only one fish has an all red dorsal like the photo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 4:24 am 
Global Moderator

I'm unsure of which photo you are referring to but there is a difference between the male and female M. sweglesi dorsals and also something to consider, most Red Phantoms are farm raised and imported from SE Asia so finding wild SA imported specimens is rarer. I suspect there is more variation among the mass produced fish than the wild imports. Still, males have a more well developed dorsal fins than females no matter the source.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:07 am 

puzzle solved. the photo referred to was the one Ed posted above.
this morning I saw I had another one with only red...but then I saw them eac turn on the black momentarily, apparently just as altum do with their operculum spots.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:58 pm 
Global Moderator

Even Tetras can get, 'morning wood", Dave. I'm know they show their best colors when courting and spawning because I have bred them.