It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Uaru fernandezyepezi
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:01 am 
Administrator

The rare U. fernandezyepezi (Atabapo Waroo or Ronrona, in coloquial Venezuelan fisherman talk) feels at home with altum and viceversa. Both fish inhabit same waters in the Atabapo area, but this species' distribution seems to be restricted in comparison to P. altum. Also there is a recent report (2004) in the Alto Orinoco.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Uaru fernandezyepezi
PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:50 am 

I see, that this is and old thread.
But, how does these U. fernandezyepezi, react with Altum? I`m building an aquarium 3m long and 60x60 cm.
Here I want my Altum and a litle more. Could they go with these U. f ? The Uaru`es not TO big or to violent?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:07 am 
Administrator

They coexist together in nature. UFY are very peaceful and in most of their needs can be treated as altum. Dietwise they do prefer a bit more vegetable matter. Mesonauta insignis is also an excellent choice.
Hope to see some pics when you have everything running.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:07 am 

I have a friend who had these UFY earlier, he stated with 6, and ended up with 3. They were very agressiv.
I see that You have posted in other threads, thar they live together in the wild. But that does not neceserrily means, they goes well in a aquarium, smaller space.
But You think, they will do well? I have been thinking about the M. insignis too. But here I thought, they maybe became too big? And I have tried to get these for many years, but everytime the dealers had them. I bougth many times. They were not the insinis, so here in Norway, they are hardt to get.
I will send some pics. when the aquarium are ready. But it will take some time. I have a litle problem about the electrisity and the filters, how to connect.
I allready have some Dicrossus foirni and filamentosus and some Pterophyllum leopoldi . I had in mind to put together with the Altum.
I was thinking about some Biotodoma cupido or wawrini too. Maybe some acarichthys heckelii. But now I wait and see what is coming up.
Of couse not all together. But some of these.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:49 pm 
Administrator

If it is true that just because you can find altum and UFY in the same habitat in nature (or any other species that may coinhabit together) this does not necessarily mean they can get along in a same aquarium, we kept them together in a 250 gallon tank in the early 80's (UFY was not even classified yet I believe) and there were no issues.
I have also seen M. insignis actually schooling together (as a single group) wilth altum in nature.
Now, you have a very large tank, if you keep your number of specimens to a low density population, I don't think you will have problems. If you want a higher population, then maybe UFY may not be the best choice. I have only seen them become aggressive when they are guarding territory for spawning. Otherwise, they are peaceful.
This said, I have had schools of altum that are quite aggressive, as well as trouble making Mesonauta and other cichlids, but I would never consider UFY normally aggressive, compared to some other species. Tank size makes a difference.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 pm 

This gives me reason to think. I just found a shop in Sweden that haves UFY, and to a reasonable price ???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:03 pm 

Had problems with the car in Denmark, so I never made it to Sweden. So no U. fernandezyepezi :(