L-190

Hello
In another forum someone wrote that the l190 panaque
is not a good choice for an altum tank because of the
wood "dust/cloud" it would produce and it would slowly
"Destroy" the altum.Is this true?

Re: L-190

I don't know what they mean by destroy the altum, but if you are keeping big Panaques you need some serious filtration to deal with the amount of sawdust they produce, L190 that I kept ate through an unbelievable quantity of wood in a short time

Altum and P. nigrolineatus are seasonally found in the same habitats, but generally, P.altum is a blackwater fish and P. nigrolineatus prefers clearer streams to slightly silty waters in the Llanos area (closer to the Rio Meta area). Though P. nigrolineatus can possibly make the water turbid due to the causes mentioned in the previous post, I don't think it would be an impediment... what are particulate filters for? And we can limit the amount of wood we put in for them and supplement with good quality substitute foods..I've heard there's a Repashy diet that has been used successfully for Panaque.
Then, you can simplify your life and just take the good advice some of our members are giving you Andy, Hypancistrus species and the like plecos are found more often with altum.
Ed
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.

Have you looked into the Blue Panaque L239 or Ventuari Green Phantom L200 (Hi Fin type)?
These are actually true Baryancistrus genus and are better adapted to the year round altum environment as they are basically from the same habitat.
The Blue Panaque is rather drab until you give it what it wants, then it can show why it is named Blue!
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.