It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:13 am 

I've asked everyone, got all types of opinions, many of which controdict one another...and still looking for un-pink, un-nippers for a good sized school.

Well, despite the fact that I am already committing a major biotope sin by having black sand...I am now considering another that I know many of you will think heretical...

Rasbora heteromorpha!

Please, I do not mean to slap anyone's face...but they seem like the ideal fish despite the fact that they come from the other side of the world...

Almost 2" with deep chests (probably not eaten)...great schoolers, good looking, similar Ph and softness...

I promise that all other tankmates will be South American...

Besides the violation of the biotoper's code, does anyone feel that this is a bad choice biologically? Please let me know before drumming me out of the corps...(please don'!)...Ken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:30 pm 
Administrator

Believe it or not, and putting all biotope considerations apart, I think they are a good selection, and the black sand, will look good, I am more worried about the shape and inertness of the sand than the color ... as I said, the important things are the water parameters, and you can gradually suit those to your convenience further on.
Ed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:33 pm 
Administrator

BTW, go pray three Our Fathers and three Hail Marys... of sing Hare Krisna Hare Rama for 15 minutes... or whatever!

If you decide pH 7.5 is better, then your in trouble.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:01 am 

I love Trigonostigma heteromorpha. They're one of my favorite schooling fish.

However, I am concerned that they may still be too small to survive long term in an altum tank and may end up as food eventually

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:01 am 
Administrator

illumnae wrote:

However, I am concerned that they may still be too small to survive long term in an altum tank and may end up as food eventually

Was not aware of the genus name change... very appropriate and easy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:19 pm 

puertoayacucho wrote:
illumnae wrote:

Was not aware of the genus name change... very appropriate and easy.

I love the 3 species of fish reclassified to the Trigonostigma genus. In particular, my favourite is actually T. espei, which colours up to a wonderful deep copper tone (versus the more purple colouration of the T. heteromorpha and the gold tones of the T. hengeli). They were my top choice of dither fish back when I was into nano planted tanks, and I can imagine any of the 3 species making a bold statement in Ken's black-based tank. Only concern really is if they end up a tasty snack for the altums.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:32 am 

"violation of the biotypers code" Brilliant, i love that, hahahaha. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:13 am 

Dithers have arrived...most came well...using Stabilty and saying those prayers though I'm Jewish...(can't hurt)...Question...how long do I use the stability?...I'm following directions to the letter...do I change some water after the 7 day initial cycle...my water parameters aare good and the Rasboras are fine but small...don't worry, I don't even have my main tank yet so I'll grow them up big and fat by then (Jewish mother instinct)...Ken

Post subject: Ph holding
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:18 pm 

Ed and everyone interested...

The Ph in the 30 quarentine tank is holding beautifully at 6.7...After bringing it down from 7+ using the HCL method...I used some Discus Buffer...2nd day of fish and food and no change at all.

If I was sure of myself, would recommend this method to defragilize the water and keep a low Ph constant...but I don't know for sure that this will always work...

When the tank and Altums come...then we will see...comments welcome...Ken

Post subject: Amonia not going down...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:46 am 

Currently have 30 rasboras, 10 tiny panda corys and 4 silver hatchetfish in a high 30 gal tank...its 12 days now...using Stability and Amolock and still the ammonia is not going down...the test kit shows bright green...I'm feeding very light, all fish seem happy and active...am I doing something wrong or does it just take more time?...Eventually they well go into the 90 with the altums ...the tank is here but no stand, not to the end of this week...temp is 80, Ph about 6.7...Ken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:23 pm 
Administrator

What did you finally use for a substrate? Would love to see some pics of how things are coming along? Did you do the black sand?
Ed