It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 am 

This is pretty cool ... I moved 6 adult Apisto. Agazzisi, with one big ole alpha male to a 20 gallon High and now have two groups of fry with 2 different females ... tank glass is pretty messy so I can't get any good pics. Had the male/female pair in a 5 gallon and nothing. In the 20 I get fry. Excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:31 pm 
Administrator

Great going Jeff. While I was in Miami staying at my brothers home in 2003 I got 1 male and two females of Agazzi's for my nephew's Amazonian biotype 40g. One female was killed in short order and then the pair left bred several times. At the same time we had a very nice pair of large black angels also breeding in the same tank. My nephew (19) and I have always been very close in the fishy sense and I enjoyed teaching him a few tricks.

At this point here in SLC, I'm still struggling with temperature issues in my "fish garage". I've downsized to 4 tanks for winter to keep the energy bill down. I am hoping to soon purchase a dozen large biosponges and rely on them as main filtration. I have a good, strong linear pump that can drive all the sponges. I will only keep one canister running on the tank with the growing altum and the rest will be sponge filtered. What most hits me though (I figure) is the heating issue. Only immediate solution is the thermal insulation I have installed on the tanks.

In one tank I have some Apistogramma cacatuoides cf. waybright (from Larry that is LOL) but until now due to lack of space they were with a couple of big L137 which happen to love the cockatoo's eggs. I'm going to be throwing these into their own tank in a few days and we'll see what happens.

Ed