It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nannostomus marginatus
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:32 am 
Administrator

The pencil fishes are a widespread genus occuring throughout the Amazon and Orinoco. The dwarf pencil fish is very peaceful, wonderful addition to the altum tank in numbers of at least six. Try to get them large, these grow just over the snack size for larger altum. These are found in the Inirida and Atabapo floodplain up into Ventuari.

Ed

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:42 pm 
Global Moderator

Hi Ed,
I hope all is well down your way. I have a question. Given your tag about altums and cardinals, why do you frequently suggest the use of such small Characins as red phantoms, cardinals or Nannostomus marginatus for use with altums? Altums are always eating or trying to eat Otocinclus with a bad outcome for both. These are just altum feeder fish to me.
I suggest somewhat larger fish are a better choice for their sake since the altums aren't complaining.
Some fish that seem like safer tank mates are larger Characins. Just curious.
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:25 pm 
Administrator

This would basically depend on the size of altums you have to start with and will vary as they grow.

On the other hand, and I hope this is not interpreted as my being a little morbid, the presence of these smaller characins in tanks with larger altum stimulates the latter's prey instinct, keeping them more lively and sharp.

If what you want is peaceful heaven in your tank, then we can put the smaller tetras aside, but if you want it more on the wild side, you'll have to see the dynamic stare (if they can control themselves) of a flock of mature altum when a school of juvenile rummies or neons swims close by.

If you can get jumbo cardinals, real 2 inchers, these should do fine and wildcaught altum will still put on an exciting show, but most likely without trying to hog up the jumbos (unless they show any sign of weakness or strange swimming behavior).

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:08 am 
Administrator

This is the Cherry Red Pencil Fish (Nannostomus marginatus mortenthaleri). I've read this subspecies occurs in the Rio Nanay area. It surely makes a very colorful addition to any tank and must surely get along nicely in a tank with young altum. They grow large enough to not be eaten by larger altum.

Ed

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:10 am 

I'm just about sold on a school of pencilfish for my next visit to Oliver's. Along with another group of corys ( already have sterbai ).
But what fish looks better than a school of cardinals ? Can't get away from that question.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:49 pm 
Administrator

Dave, the answer is easy.

NONE.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:27 am 

Pencilfish make awesome dither, my beckford males are constantly battling each other in a dance almost typical of breeding in other species. I keep mine with Nanay angels and they only get bullied when they grab a morsel which the angels are interested in.

The original shoal of 11 is now down to 6 after 3 years or more, so I'll be looking for more of the same or maybe try another species from this genus. Mine maxed out at around 1.5" so that is probably still snack size for altums They like to join the rummy nose tetras I've got and their horizontal stripes turn to bars at night, some of them like to sleep in as they keep their bars for a while after the tank lights come on