It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:59 am 

Hello

I'm new to keeping wild angelfish. And probably as many of you have encountered on this forum a victim of my own ignorance. I have 6 juvenile AA that ive had for a couple weeks. I noticed that several started acting listless, hiding and stopped eating. I acted quickly and happily was able to find this forum. Doing extensive searches in the forum I found what i thought was the answer.

I begin a treatment with metro and prazi. I also created some medicated food with the metro. (as an aside Metro is truly a great drug, my dog has chronic IG issues and Flagyl <metro> is something that has worked wonders for him.
I'm happy to report all my angels are doing much better, coming forward when i approach the tank and looking for food. I'm going to continue with the medicated food for 3 more days (i believe is the right duration?). And today I will do a water change and dose again with the metro and prazi. Please let me know if this or isnt correct.

Here are some questions:

1) Am I correct that people will do a deworming treatment say every 3 months? Or 6 months? Prophylactically?

2) I am concerned about external parasites, and fin condition. Can I treat external issues at the same time? Are the medications for internal treatments counter indicated with any external treatments. What would you recommend for an external treatment? In my haste to treat my fish I went on a spending binge on Amazon and also have Bifuran, Paraguard and Cupramine, Kordon Rapid Cure. Just to be clear, i havent used any of these until i had a plan but i wanted to have things on hand in case i had to act quickly. I has seen the API Pima and Mela fix for fungal and bacterial infections... i wasnt sure if these products actually work?

3) I have a ton of questions about water treatment with peat or rooibos tea. But I'll reserve those for another time and have been reading the forum posts on these topics. But if there is a resource that you recommend that is good beginning reading, id be grateful.

Thanks for taking the time to read or respond.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:38 am 

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:10 pm 
Administrator

jasa73 wrote:
Hello

I'm new to keeping wild angelfish. And probably as many of you have encountered on this forum a victim of my own ignorance. I have 6 juvenile AA that ive had for a couple weeks. I noticed that several started acting listless, hiding and stopped eating. I acted quickly and happily was able to find this forum. Doing extensive searches in the forum I found what i thought was the answer.

I begin a treatment with metro and prazi. I also created some medicated food with the metro. (as an aside Metro is truly a great drug, my dog has chronic IG issues and Flagyl <metro> is something that has worked wonders for him.
I'm happy to report all my angels are doing much better, coming forward when i approach the tank and looking for food. I'm going to continue with the medicated food for 3 more days (i believe is the right duration?). And today I will do a water change and dose again with the metro and prazi. Please let me know if this or isnt correct.

Hi Jasa,
You don't say how long you have been treating with the metro/prazi. I go 10 days on any metro treatment. Not sure if you need to go that long with the prazi it has been years since I've had to use that stuff.

Here are some questions:

1) Am I correct that people will do a deworming treatment say every 3 months? Or 6 months? Prophylactically?I do not. If you treat for worms correctly the first time they do not come back. You have to understand the life cycle of each worm you are treating for and treat accordingly to kill the adults any intermediate stages and the eggs of the worm.

2) I am concerned about external parasites, and fin condition. Can I treat external issues at the same time? Are the medications for internal treatments counter indicated with any external treatments. What would you recommend for an external treatment? In my haste to treat my fish I went on a spending binge on Amazon and also have Bifuran, Paraguard and Cupramine, Kordon Rapid Cure. Just to be clear, i havent used any of these until i had a plan but i wanted to have things on hand in case i had to act quickly. I has seen the API Pima and Mela fix for fungal and bacterial infections... i wasnt sure if these products actually work? What are you concerned with externally? If you do not see any issues I would not treat. If you have to treat potassium permanganate would be a good choice to kill external bugs.You'll have to do some research on dosages and duration for the specific ailments you are treating for.You'll also have to be careful not to murder your bio filters with the stuff.

3) I have a ton of questions about water treatment with peat or rooibos tea. But I'll reserve those for another time and have been reading the forum posts on these topics. But if there is a resource that you recommend that is good beginning reading, id be grateful. I hope I answered all of your questions in the other thread.

Thanks for taking the time to read or respond.

All that said, I refuse to medicate if the fish are not showing symptoms. Others here are much more liberal with chemicals this is just my way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:22 am 

Thank you so much for the reply. What I ended up doing was dosing the aquarium with API general cure according to the directions and then since they were eating feeding medicated food for 4 days. Turns out my rams had worms too, go figure.

After reading the entire folder on Diseases and Treatments I came to the conclusion that you just recommended. Not to treat an infection unless symptoms present themselves, but to definitely deworm.