It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: "light PP treatment"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:41 am 

Hi Pat has done a pp treatment on her altums recently and Mike indicated I ought to try one. I am properly prepared with a separate 10 gallon tank,a stock solution of P.P prepared per the British Discus Association website.... though it is two years old but still is jet black. I have done the very fast, tough ,high concentration JIm Quarles method on discus with immediate and good success. Highly reccomendable if scary. I have also done the moderate 4 hour dip per that same group of British instuctions and I thought that it was a help as a follow up to the tough dip on that same group of discus. Both of these dips, certainly the few minute Quarles dip, will kill altums..Quarles essentially said so.
So, what is a mild but yet successful dip? ON young altums a year ago I did a mild one which was totally ineffective.. and the ones I did it one were not looking particularly happy after it and died somewhat later...they were tiny however.
I want to dip maybe two of my year olds, deffinitely numbers 11 and 12 of the peck order. . The Quarles method is deep purple and almost opaque ( basically you drop in the discus, pray it doesn't turn over, get him out in a few minutes, and he may be cured though he will have purple fin edges) .The 4 hour dip features water that is clear but diffinitely purple.
Any direction much appreciated.

regards AL

PS IN 2012 my discus caught what was called "Asian Ich" from cross contamination of another shipment of fish. One was so bad..,black and lying on it's side for a few days that I pitched him into a full 55 gallon drain bucket and left him over night. Next day I thought that i would do that Quarles PP treatment and so I dragged him off the bottom of the bucket and threw him into the solution also with the other not as bad fish (you dip them separately).Recovery was absolutely total and he is very much around today. In any case,that was interesting and sure will not work on altums

Post subject: Re: "light PP treatment"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:40 am 
Website Development

Hi Al,

The way I use PP with young fish (this was recommended by a SimplyDiscus sponsor to use on discus fry) is a light pink PP treatment for six hours. You will need to gauge the color of the PP via eyeball. You only want to maintain a light pink tint to the water over the duration of the six hours. This means when the water starts to turn brown you will need to add a wee bit of PP to maintain the color and most likely will need to be done about every half hour to full hour. After the six hours is complete do a big water change.

I used this treatment on my 2014 altums and they were still pretty small and had no issues. May I ask why you feel a PP treatment is needed?

Pat

Post subject: Re: "light PP treatment"
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:28 am 

HI Thanks for replying.
I am still fighting with tail fin fraying to one degree or another on my year old altums. The best have almost no damage at all but the lowest two on the peck order look raggedy. From our general understanding of what initial stage columnaris looks like, this would be it. ...fraying, cloudiness of fin, decay of fin. I have done a multifaceted attack on it including major clean up, new sump hoses, new pump on sump, new 25 watt UV bulb on this 125 ga now running 24/7, cattappa leaf,a better set up to make the sump work better as a nitrite to nitrate converter. Also, 40% water change per day. TDS is on the way to be lowered from 100 ppm to probably 15 ppm where it once was when they were babies. THis is just by adding less Kent RO right into my storage tank of RO.( which does need to be pressure washed still) AND Lowering ph from a hard to perfectly ascertain 5.5 to even 5.9 down to about 5 ( to orange/ red) from orange/ yellow...,with muriatic. That ought to shut down bacterial action. THis problem ebbs and flows..sometimes looking much better but then regressing.
The idea of the pp treatment is to do it on the two worst ( which are never going to be much anyway and maybe find a cure
BTW this fraying more or less slowly began to rear its head after I started to feed live black worm. Cerainly ,if there is nothing toxic about them ,they would certainly introduce all kinds of benign bacteria which could be problematic. I also could be wrong on this.
Regards Al