It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: eye damage what to do
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:29 pm 

hello

i got an altum with eye damage from swimming into a root or maybe the background the eye has been white for 2 weeks now and it doesn,t seem to get better what shall i do with this fish ,keep it like this or
euthanize it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:22 am 

Is there an infection ofthe eye? If the eye is lost and everything is under control, I wouldn't euthanize the fish.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:23 am 

the eye is not infected ,the fish is doing fine but has trouble finding food sometimes ,but it eats.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 pm 
Administrator

Hi Andries. If the spectacle and sclera (outer eye membranes or external corneal structures) are not regenerating there could be a superficial infection of these structures or even an infection of deeper structures. It is possible that the wound or abrasion was deep enough to allow penetration of pathogen into the eye thus making difficult normal healing.

Last fall, a considerable number (16) out or our group (I refer to the Ventuari group Mike and I have, which I have been growing out) of the entire group of about 80 fish, suffered severe eye lesions during a blackout that affected the part of city I live in (Midvale, in SLC, Utah). The blackout lasted about two hours and when the power came back, the fish, which were accustomed to the rather strong current and light, were caught completely off guard after spending the couple of hours in complete stillness and darkness. For about 20 minutes they darted in all directions of the water column, crashing against the side panels and the sand substrate. It was quite despairing to see this happening and not be able to do anything (I was also caught off guard).

As days passed, a only a few of the 16 affected fish totally recovered. Maybe 5 of the fish recovered partially and the rest never showed any improvement with the external corneal structures remaining with the appearance of an opaque silver cloud. Despite this, all the fish eventually learned to eat and none died due to starvation.

Of course, I had to separate these fish and give them an aquarium for themselves as they could not compete for food with the remaining healthy bunch.

These fish were treated with a stock methylene blue solution for three days (according to dose on Kordon MB bottle) as well as 1 tsp kosher salt per gallon of water. After this I treated with Maracyn Plus for 10 days. I finally treated them with PraziPro.

Only 2 or 3 of the 16 were eventually returned to the main group. I gave away the rest of the fish. I had them for about 5 or 6 months after the incident and none died. The last I knew of them, some remained quite stunted, but eating and otherwise healthy and some have grown more, but relatively small (at about 2 to 2.5 inches) compared to the healthy fish which are averaging 3.5 inches SL.

Normally, this type of lesion (simple abrasion) should clear up in less than a week, so at two weeks, I would think something is not right, not normal.

The first thing I would do is the kosher salt, and if after two more weeks you see no improvement, I would give them away... but that's me, that's what I did... depending on your objectives, you can keep them.

Ed