It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:45 pm 
Scientific Research Administator

I don't know what the reason for this is, but you guys in the US seem to not always get high quality and really fresh frozen foods. The mysis and fine krill that I get from my supplier in Germany are excellent and my altums go crazy about the stuff. Both fine krill and mysis are of course shrimps, and the feeling that I get is that they must be similar to the Macrobrachium shrimps that I have seen reported to be common in the Amazon (are they common in the Orinoco as well, Ed?).

My experiences with these have been very positive, but they are beautifully frozen and when defrosted do not break up or have bits peeling off the whole shrimps which indicates that they were either not properly stored or rapidly frozen.

One of the things that all of you should remember is that all blister packed frozen food has been thawed to get it into this packaging. It is only the solid bars or the chocolate type bars that are freshly frozen. This is a tip that my supplier in Germany gave me about many years ago and one should definitely remember.

Kind regards,

Dirk

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 am 
Registration Administrator

I lost an Altum recently, no signs of anything seen, all the fish eating well, just found it dead. Does anybody know if feeding backswimmers (waterboatmen) can be problematic? I have been throwing lots of small ones into the Altums (they have appeared en masse in some of my larger Daphnia colonies)
Regards,
Phill.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:43 pm 
Global Moderator

Hi Phil,
I don't know of any reason why water boatman would be harmful to angels that will eat them.
In trout lakes trout will feed on them in large numbers but only when their preferred food are in between hatches and if water boatman are extraordinarily in abundance.

I have always avoided feeding them to tropical fish because they are very hard shelled insects and they are also able to fly away.
I would think a large Altum could safely eat a few but if they were to eat many of them it is conceivable to me that they could cause intestinal blockage but that is pure speculation.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:18 pm 

Seven years gone from last post, but what a great topic. I also love to feed my angels with live food, mostly daphnia (all year round) and black mosquito larvae (seasonally). Right now I'm looking at some crustaceans Hyalella azteca. Does anyone has any experience with them? I'd like to keep and breed them for my fishes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:44 pm 
Administrator

Hi Ikuacara. your Hyalella azteca sounds pretty interesting. It looks like a Gammarus sp. but did a little reading on it and it is a distinct family and of course genus. Please keep us updated how it goes with your test feedings.

I cultivated fairy shrimp for a while. Got the eggs on Ebay from Asia. hatched some in a tank and yes, the fish went for them like crazy, but it was hard to keep them going for at least a semi- continuous supply.

Then I dumped a few capsules of eggs in a river overflow pond in back of where I live, to see what would happen in the future. Now and then I have checked and I think it's possible there may be some in the pond, but the catch is not easy due to the ponds' characteristics, a low growing brush vegetation above most of the surface. Waterfowl can walk over the shrubs and poke their necks down and catch food.

Where would you be buying/catching your H. azteca? Where is it that you live BTW?

Regards
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:00 pm 

puertoayacucho wrote:
I cultivated fairy shrimp for a while. Got the eggs on Ebay from Asia. hatched some in a tank and yes, the fish went for them like crazy, but it was hard to keep them going for at least a semi- continuous supply.

Yes, it's hard to breed them at home, because they require seasoning (drying and freezing) what I have read.

puertoayacucho wrote:
Where would you be buying/catching your H. azteca? Where is it that you live BTW?

I live in Bartlett, Illinois and I'd like to buy H.azteca on aquabid but first wanted to know some opinions before I jump on them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:11 pm 

Wow, all good material here and learning a lot.
Would like to add regarding Mysis shrimp, I feed my small and big altums with Canadian Mysis and they absolutely love it. Almost as much as Live Black Worms.. Actually small ones used to take frozen blood worms like crazy and since I started with mysis they don't take blood worms as eagerly... My big altums, would not take frozen blood worms, or anything else frozen for that matter.. so i feed them mysis, white worms, and live black worms..
I'm afraid to even try pellet or flakes as I'm almost 100% they will refuse it..
Any suggestions what could be good flake/pellet food to start? I would like to give them as much variety as possible.
I do feed my white worms and black worms with spirulina and flake food and then feed them to altums.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:59 am 
Global Moderator

If I were one of your Altum, I believe I would prefer to continue with my current diet. :D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:25 am 

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: LOL x 100000