It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: flake food
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:26 am 

HI I think, like everyone else, that I have found flake foods to be too thin and fragile to hold up well in the bag or container. I now have a big bag of Angels Plus angel fish fish food which is particularly not too good in this way.. I now have enough "fines" to feed my tetras for a decade and nbo flakes big enough for the angels..IN the past, I did find Omega One Color food to be the best though you have to buy a big container to get big flakes.
Any one with a clear recommendation?
Thanks Al

Post subject: Re: flake food
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:42 am 

Hello,

I gave my fish flakes in the past. My recommendation is simply to buy small packages you can provide in 2-3 weeks. You will pay more and waste less, it will finally cost you the same but the quality of the food you will provide will increase.
I gave New Era tropical flakes. A few weeks after opening the package, the crunchy flakes became soft and fragile, resulting in a lot of fines at the bottom.

I presume moisture uptake is a reason and I don't know how this affect the quality. One thing is certain, flakes have a higher surface to weight ratio than pellets and will for that reason have a shorter shelf life than pellets. If your fish accept pellets, I would offer them pellets.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:31 am 
Global Moderator

I quit using flake fish foods many years ago.
Partially because of the same issue you have had with ending up with lots of fine flakes or powder which I couldn't use. I switched to pellets. I like Tetra Color Bits. They mostly sink but some percentage of the granule float long enough. The other food I used extensively is Earthworm sticks. These are sold by www.kensfish.com and
www.aquaticeco.com. Ken's Fish has the lower price. Earthworm sticks became a wonder wood for me. They worked great for my plecos, Sturisoma and wild Discus. I could use it to feed everything from their fry through the adult breeders. Earthworm sticks are difficult to find for most hobbyists in Europe and UK although an aquaculture supply house in the UK does sell them. They are not found in retail shops as they were originally formulated for conditioning breeders in commercial aquaculture.

There are many fine, quality prepared foods to choose from but for which I have never got around to trying.
Here are some fish feeding on earthworm sticks.
These are juvenile F1 Royal Blue Discus.
These subadult, F1 Peruvian Scalare in the 2 photos below are feeding on earthworm sticks on the substrate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:07 am 

RE the Tetra bits and worm sticks

here is a question I have asked before but somehow never got the answer to: If I feed tetra color bits ( which I have) and worm sticks (which I have had and probably have some ancient ones in the freezer), do I wet them first? and if so,how do you wet them?

The color bits,for example,are little rocks. If you wet/soak them, pellets change to sludge fairly fast. I have fed lots of pellets but I use the "toss them in " method and I am sure that selected fish (big eaters) cannot handle them..like some discus individuals and, for example, my most aggressive gluttonous A heckeli.
I did check out New Life Spectrum Optimum All purpose flakes as recommended by my good LFS. At least this jar of them contains nice big flakes though I think, somehow, I got one of their refill jars and not a fresh one (no heat seal).The LFS refills from a very large tub of huge flakes and I know refills are not a real good idea. So far, my altums are unimpressed and won't eat them ..I thought that they would eat anything..
Thanks Al
I will get those worm sticks.I used them with cories in the past.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:08 am 

here is a question I have asked before but somehow never got the answer to: If I feed tetra color bits ( which I have) and worm sticks (which I have had and probably have some ancient ones in the freezer), do I wet them first? and if so,how do you wet them?

The color bits,for example,are little rocks. If you wet/soak them, pellets change to sludge fairly fast. I have fed lots of pellets but I use the "toss them in " method and I am sure that selected fish (big eaters) cannot handle them..like some discus individuals and, for example, my most aggressive gluttonous A heckeli.
I did check out New Life Spectrum Optimum All purpose flakes as recommended by my good LFS. At least this jar of them contains nice big flakes though I think, somehow, I got one of their refill jars and not a fresh one (no heat seal).The LFS refills from a very large tub of huge flakes and I know refills are not a real good idea. So far, my altums are unimpressed and won't eat them ..I thought that they would eat anything..
Thanks Al

Thanks Al

Thanks Al

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:15 am 
Global Moderator

Just toss a few sticks per discus/adult angel "as is". Don't presoak them. The fish will happily graze on the sticks as they quickly soften.
Foraging feeding is much more natural than metered feeding. Of course, I don't mean you can just feed more than they can eat within a reasonably short time. The sticks break down into small enough bits for Corydoras, plecos and Tetras to get their share.
If you have kept the earthworm sticks stored refrigerated, they should remain good almost indefinitely.