It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:15 am 

HI
I understand that most of the altum keepers feed some type of pellet...like tetrabits. Though I have fed buckets of pellets to rift lake cichlids ( which is pretty boring),I never switched to adding pellets to the diets of discus or ,now angels, because I clearly had a big voracious discus that got constipated everytime he saw a pellet and also ,I felt that I killed off a group of Acarythys Heckeli by feeding them pellets after they reached adulthood. All these pellets were fed dry. So, if the group is feeding pellets can you tell me which ones and are they dry or soaked and if wet, how much are they soaked/how much water. I have soaked pellets in a glass of water and found that they fell apart and lost their dye.
THanks details can be important
Al

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:25 pm 
Website Development

If you're lucky, Altum will eat most anything. Sometimes they solely prefer California black worms or live food such as daphnia or mosquito larvae. Just don't overfeed. Feed them small bits intermittently. Smaller is best. Perhaps feed something that wont expand too much in water. They do sell discus pellets.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:18 am 

I had good results with New ERA Aquaculture products. As well flakes as pellets. The pellets are platable, and not hard as most other pellets. See their website.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 am 
Administrator

I feed all of mine NLS discus formula. 1mm size. This is a small part of their diet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:14 am 

I feed my wild angels (peruvian, manacapru, altums) entirely with FD, pellets or flakes . They are doing fine. My altums particularly like Krill Pellets ... was buying them from Angels Plus but they discontinued them (???). Trying some from KenCo. Also feed generic sinking pellets, FD bloodworms, Angelfish flake, blackworm flake

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 pm 
Administrator

The smaller ones are getting NLS Ultra Red, I try to give it in the morning when they are most hungry but they prefer most everything else I give them (the frozen, freeze dried and live stuff... well what fish in its sound mind wouldn't?)

The big fellas get Hikari Cichlid Gold and they go for it like nuts... all of them! And they also get the good stuff.

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:28 am 

I thought it would be appropriate to ask here, how does one persuade altums to eat different kind of food?
With Live Blackworms being in shortage right now, I'm looking some alternatives.
I'm currently taking a stab at keeping live blackworms but I think it's too much hassle for the yield.
My older altums eat only live white worms and canadian mysis shrimp, last week they started taking some of jumbo blood worms but only few would eat and rest is not really interested. I've kept them on blood worms for a week now but now they almost refuse them completely...
Pellets they don't even look at.. Maybe my mistake for spoiling them but how do I make them eat a bit of variety?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:17 pm 

i'd say let them get hungry for a day.that always helps.
garlic guard might help too.tho i make my own garlic juice and soak their foods in it once or twice a week.
i'm interested to hear other peoples suggestions too on this.
the current menu i give them includes frozen bloodworms,artemia,fish eggs, and krill.
the dry foods i feed them are ocean nutritions discus flakes,tropical d-allio 50,freeze dried krill,and a pellet from nls(which i cant remember the name of right now... :roll: )

they are not too kin on that pellet but thats probably cause its too small and they're havin a hard time going after it.

their favorite seems to be the frozen artemia and fish eggs tho.they go nuts when they smell taht stuff im telling you...