re: How much to feed for optimum growth?

I alternate between frozen/live and dry food all day. Sometimes I feed the fish 15 times or more depending on how much time I have. If I walk by the tank and I get a healthy response I add food. If the fish have had enough for the time being they will let you know. Not too much at a time. Just enough for healthy competition between fishes. I only feed heavy like this if the fish are growing or if I am conditioning to spawn. I feed my adults twice a day.

Re: re: How much to feed for optimum growth?

19ghost79 wrote:I alternate between frozen/live and dry food all day. Sometimes I feed the fish 15 times or more depending on how much time I have. If I walk by the tank and I get a healthy response I add food. If the fish have had enough for the time being they will let you know. Not too much at a time. Just enough for healthy competition between fishes. I only feed heavy like this if the fish are growing or if I am conditioning to spawn. I feed my adults twice a day.
Thanks, do you also let them fast one day a week like most ppl recommend? Do you also mind sharing the types of food.. I feed mine frozen bloodworms and tetrabits everyday, but the FBW pack nutritional value chart shows mostly moisture.. Thinking of switching to beef heart..

Re: How much to feed for optimum growth?

Hello,

My understanding is that if you are feeding live or frozen food, you should alternate as much as possible. The fat to proteïn ratio can vary a lot from one type of food to another, as well as the vitamin and trace elements content. By alternating, you will offer them more all the ingredients they need. The proteïn to fat ratio should be high enough, I think above 5 if I remember well. On the website of JBL (www.jbl.de), there is a nice presentation.

But this must be done in the right proportions. Fish and shrimps for example contain a higher amount of proteïns than red musquitolarvae or beefhart that contain more fats. You can buy a lot of frozen food like artemia, mysis, krill, all sort of musquito larves, etc... I should avoid to feed too much on meat (beefhart), because of the higher content on (unsaturated) fats. I fed them beefhart once a week, today almost not.

High quality premium dry food (should) contain all the ingredients, including vitamins, trace elements in the right ratio. Therefor, I consider it as a valuable food, as far as they like it.