It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New "Repashy" Gel Foods
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:37 pm 

Review by Ted Judy

http://www.aquabotanic.com/?p=1669

http://tedsfishroom.com/store/products/ ... -meat-pie/

great ingredients list, and in bulk it looks to be $1 lb after adding water.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:05 pm 
Administrator

This stuff looks fantastic. I just ordered a half lb of the veggie and the meat pie. I'll update here on how it works out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:34 am 

I made up some of the meat pie and right now the verdict is still out with me. When I made the first batch I must not have added enough of the food cause it really didnt bind right and the second batch I added to much and came out really rubbery. The discus picked at it but my altums didnt want anything to do with it. My altums will pretty much eat anything I throw in there and I mainly feed them beefheart. I will say that it didnt dissolve to much as it sat on the bottom of my tank for about 6 hours but the altums didnt even look at it even after I cut it up into small bite size pieces.

I will try to use it more but I think the trick will be making it at the right consistancy where the fish will eat it. I think it will really come in handy feeding small juvenile fish as a way to have food in front of them for longer times without fouling up the water to bad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:53 am 

halvyt wrote:
I made up some of the meat pie and right now the verdict is still out with me. When I made the first batch I must not have added enough of the food cause it really didnt bind right and the second batch I added to much and came out really rubbery. The discus picked at it but my altums didnt want anything to do with it. My altums will pretty much eat anything I throw in there and I mainly feed them beefheart. I will say that it didnt dissolve to much as it sat on the bottom of my tank for about 6 hours but the altums didnt even look at it even after I cut it up into small bite size pieces.

I will try to use it more but I think the trick will be making it at the right consistancy where the fish will eat it. I think it will really come in handy feeding small juvenile fish as a way to have food in front of them for longer times without fouling up the water to bad.
halvyt,

Thanks for the quick report !

I've found that altums are very choosy about bite size, and about some new foods. With Gel Tek , many fish did not do any more than mouth the medicated or vitaminized drops of gel once or twice. However, you can train them to take the gel by adding it to something like blood worm, and they end up accepting the gel on dried bloodworm, even seeming to like it. Could be that they would behave similarly with this. A bit disappointing though to hear they did not take to it.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:02 am 

Dave, I understand what you are saying about them being particular about the size of the food. I cut up my beefheart into bite size pieces and they crush it. I also added a bunch of krill and cyclopeeze to the mixture too but I am still going to keep trying to use the gel mix because I want to try adding a few extra touches to it like vitamins and other supplements. When I did cut it up into the normal bite size pieces like I do with the beefheart they went for it but immediately spit it out. I also think if you get the right consistancy down the chances of them eating it will go up.

I think this food will really shine when I start feeding my future F1's this stuff...lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:49 pm 

@Halvyt... sorry you had some trouble with the mixing. So I can try to help, can you tell me what the ratio of food to water was that you used when the gel did not set right? Was the water boiling or just under boiling when you mixed it? Without the heat the gel right, but you can put unset mixtures in a microwave to bring them up to boiling and then it will set right.

Keep trying on the altums. My experience with picky is fish is that when they are hungry they will eat it, and once they learn to eat it they will eat it well. My picky fish were some plecos that were basically addicted to frozen meat.

Thank you everyone for looking at and trying the Repashy Superfoods. I will happily answer any questions you may have.

Ted Judy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:56 pm 

Ted

I followed the directions on the package. The first time I added just a bit below the 1/4 cup so I could add another supplement to it and it didnt set as solid as I would have liked it and the second time I added just a hair more than a 1/4 cup, maybe about a tbls more if that. I did have the water boiling and I removed the pot from the heat and added the mix. It didnt take long the second time for it to start gelling up pretty fast. I got a 4lb bag of the stuff so I'm sure I will get it right next time.

The altums have never been picky eaters in the almost 5 years that I've had them. I'm guessing that once I get the texture right they will be more likely to gobble it down.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:07 pm 

Ok... maybe some of the supplements you are adding affected it. I am sure you will get the mixture right. Be careful of over using vitamins. The food is well fortified out of the bag: Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:16 pm 

Hi Ted,
Welcome to Finarama.
Thank you for introducing what is obviously a quality product, and explaining.
Dave