It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: CBW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:12 pm 

Anybody has experience of feeding their Altums with California Blackworms?

Live or Frozen Dried?

Post subject: re: CBW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:30 pm 

I've fed mine Australian Blackworms (freeze dried). They like it alot.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:19 pm 

How about mealworm?

I'd like to start a culture of CBW, just want to make sure it is good thing to do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:45 am 
Administrator

A lot of us here on the forum use live blackworms. I always have some at hand when I get new altums in.

I once kept a culture going for about 8 months but as the fish grew and ate more, I exhausted my culture.

If working with live worms, just make sure you feed them the dark red/brown ones and never the grayish (dead/dying) worms.

Do a bit of reading on how to maintain them and keep them healthy. You will need to do almost daily water changes until you have a couple of well cycled sponge filters going in the culture.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:50 pm 

Hi Ed,

Can I use the waste water from my RO unit?

I did daily water change for my Altum QT. so I have tons of waste water.

Some people said that it's better keep blackworm in shallow water. is it true?

I ordered one lbs from Dan today.

James

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:39 pm 
Administrator

Yes James, the R/O wastewater is great for them. Actually, if you have a continuous supply of r/o water, you can just flush the container where you keep the CBW twice a day, without any actual need of filtration. This is only for feeding the fish, not meant for reproduction.

If you would like to breed them (if you don't have too many fish) and keep the colony going... best is a shallow plastic sterilite type container. I use a 44 inch X 20 inch X 6 inch, see

http://www.sterilite.com/SelectProduct. ... &section=1

I have it set up with two pieces of 4 inch X 4inch X 20 inch of bio sponge (open cell foam) at both ends inside the box, forming like a dam at each end. A power head drives water from one end (beyond the bio sponge) to the other through a 1/2 inch PVC pipe, providing a mild current from one side to the other. One inch of sand covers the bottom of the plastic bin.

I feed flakes and spirulina tabs. This setup was the best that worked for me after several trials with different sized aquaria and totes, but with the amount of fish I have, I can only keep a culture "in positive" for so long.

Last edited by puertoayacucho on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:25 pm 

Thanks Ed, will try somthing similar.

Got my first pound of blackworm today.
Very clean and healthy.

My Altum loves it. they even wait at empty worm feeder when I come by. :D

James

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:34 pm 
Administrator

Just a quick add to above. You will still need to change water daily or at any minimal sign of beginning to foul (unclean odor), until the fouling fades away. You will see this when using common sense you will need to change water less and less. The relatively large biosponges I use catch up quickly with the worms bio wastes. Use Seachem Stabilizer to start the system up. A "muck" will form on the inner face of the downtream bio sponge, this muck is good, it is food for the bacteria that will colonize the sponges (as is the worm waste)... the small particles that flow through the biosponges are also food for the worms. This method is a lot cleaner than the brown bag method, even if it may be less productive. The powerhead impeller assists worm segmentation, though minimally, if you provide correct placement. The system as described can support up to 3 pounds of worms which should cover the complete bed. I changed water every 5-7 days when system was working at its prime. Water depth was 3 inches above substrate. Current from one side to the other was mild to moderate... you can see the worms workout a bit to keep their anchor.
If you have used catappa leaves (that no longer have tannin) you can put them directly over the bed. These are also food for them.

That's about it.

Ed

Last edited by puertoayacucho on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:39 pm 

Thanks a lot.

Seems my first one pound won't least long enough to be sustainable.
Will work on the setup then try it.

I see some flatworm in it. My altum doesn't eat it.
Do I need to remove it before feeding? I use worm feeder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:50 pm 
Administrator

Leeches my friend. Do your best at removing any you can catch with a spoon. They not only eat blackworms but can also be a source of disease for your fish. It is relatively easy if the worms are spread out in the big plastic bin I mentioned.

Ed

Post subject: Re: re: CBW
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:31 am 

puertoayacucho wrote:
Leeches my friend. Do your best at removing any you can catch with a spoon. They not only eat blackworms but can also be a source of disease for your fish. It is relatively easy if the worms are spread out in the big plastic bin I mentioned.

Ed

Is that flatworm leeches?

quote from Dan's website:
Quote:
Our California Blackworms ( THEY ARE NOT TUBIFEX) are farm raised in the best of conditions. They are not harvested from ditches, duck ponds, factory run offs, or hatchery ponds. At various times of the year different types of worms and flat worms might appear mixed with your Blackworms. These are not harmful to your fish.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:31 pm 
Administrator

They are leeches, they prey on blackworms and other living beings. They can't catch your healthy fish, true, but you don't want your fish eating them.
Ed