It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: more om black worms
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:58 pm 

Hi
Recently,I posted how I had set up a 20 gal to receive black worms. THis had been a total failure. However, I tried again, with 1. lbs of worms ,not 1.5 lbs. This time I replaced my 1/4 overflow with a 5/8 inch j tube and removed the inner overflow box. I also started with two sponge filters on high and also two fast running airstones. That seemed to do it. The only thing that presents a problem is that the j tube will pick up bubbles from the airstones and ,after awhile, will stop running well...this results in a spill. The inflow can be the waste water from a 150 gallon RO ( a bit too fast), the waste water from a 100 gallon( quite balanced) or if no ROs are running, the dribblings from a hose from my well after running through a carbon filter. It does look like a long term solution and is easy.
Regards Al

Post subject: Re: more om black worms
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:59 pm 
Administrator

Hi Al, so glad you managed to get a hold on the blackworm setup... I upgraded to a 33 low tank and put 3 pounds in and all went South (I'm pretty sure it was that the filters were not cycled and I only used Safestart to kick start them.) Now the tank looks pretty cycled and water is crystal clear, but the small amount of live worms left colonized a 18 inch X 4 inch piece of foam and they are not easy to get out. I plan to get a couple of pounds to see how it goes again. Looks like my statistics on this experiment have been about 50/50 so far.

BTW, can you move this post to the correspondent thread you had going on the matter?

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:59 am 

HI
Re: moving the post to the thread I had going..I don't have a clue on how to do that. I am kind of happy just to find stuff.I only found Pat's 19 page of posts by poking around after weeks went by. Then again,the kids who work for me at our restaurant think it's cool that I can now even text.
Al

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:20 am 
Administrator

Ok, if it's alright with you, I can take care of it. That way our readers can follow up on your whole experience with the black worms and not just read isolated comments. So..is it alright with you ?