It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:40 pm 

Friends

A newbie question probably.
I am looking forward to getting my first Altums and one day hopefully breed them.

The decision I need to make now is to go for WC Altum or try to get F1 from breeder who have been successful.My reading tells me that F1 are easier to grow and also sexually mature faster than WC.

Appreciate if experienced members can throw some light on the pros and cons.

Thank in advance.

Jgd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:05 am 
Administrator

Hi JGD and welcome to Finarama...
F1 are definitely easier to work with for obvious reasons... all the hard work has been taken care of!
You might want to try to send a PM to Mike Troxell (aka 19ghost79), who can give you first hand insight as to his experience.
Good luck
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:05 pm 

Thanks Ed

I am looking forward to learning from experienced members here.

Thank you for your suggestion to message Mike, but it appears that I am not yet authorized to send PM.

Would you know what is the "Quarantine" period for new mew members :)

Cheers

Jgd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:23 pm 
Administrator

Wild caught altum are not at all an easy fish to acclimate, and bhy that I mean that virtually all aquarists lose their first batch or two until they get the hold of things.
Amongst wild altum, you would want younger fish, quarter sized fish usually do best. They are usually hard to get at this time of year, but they could come around if you are lucky.
If you do happen to get some wild juvies, make sure you get them from "the good guys", John Murray (Houston Aquarium Warehouse) or John Kreatsoulas Sr & Jr (Snookn21 at Aquabid) both have high standards and aren't out there for the quick buck. I can't stress how important it is to do your homework on who to buy from. Those referred have been collaborating with our members for 5+ years. I buy from them eyes closed.
Try to stay away from the tiny wild dime size altums that show up early to mid summer, and don't be tempted by newly imported jumbos, no matter how cheap... unless of course, your wallet is as big as your passion, and you want to spend big just for the learning experience.
Then of course, we have Pat, Ihsan, and a few other of our well seasoned discus breeders, who have shown to have an excellent hand acquiring the tiniest altum and turning them into orcas in short time.

Now, you can also go out shopping for F fish. I believe we have F2 already (Mike?). This would be much easier, as Mike has already done all the dirty work. We may not have any available at the moment, the plan has been to select the best F1 as breeders and these are over two years old. I have a few wild refreshers here in SLC and Mike has the hoard in Vegas (The Troxell-Chang Gang).

I know there are a few other people who should have F1 but for their own reasons they prefer to keep a low key and just enjoy the hobby, they seem not interested to sell, assuming they have any for sale.

So if you want trouble, but like challenges, go wild. If you want to actually enjoy keeping and not too far in the future breeding altum, go for F fish.

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:25 pm 
Administrator

BTW, after a certain number of posts you should be able to use the PM feature, or you might ask Michelle or Pat? I'll try to take a quick look (but I'll blame you if I mess up the website!...LOL)
Ed

UPDATE. Try and send me an email and see if it works now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:58 pm 

Hello Ed

Let me first say that this you are probably the most helpful administrator I have encountered till now..and I have been member/is member of more than a dozen forums.

My sincere appreciation for your detailed response and positive guidance.

I already feel educated on Pt.Altum :P , more important I feel I am in the right place to learn.

Thanks again and Best Regards

Jgd

P.S ..will try PM ing you and you can blame it all on the fishes :P

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:34 pm 
Administrator

Thanks, your words are very motivating.
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:21 am 
Administrator

Hi guys,
If the fish cooperate we will have f2 in a few months. Things are looking promising.

http://youtu.be/tcJquweH3Ow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:40 am 
Website Development

19ghost79 wrote:
Hi guys,
If the fish cooperate we will have f2 in a few months. Things are looking promising.

http://youtu.be/tcJquweH3Ow

Sweet news indeed :)