Advice? Poor hatch rates

#1
I have a pair of peruvians ... F1 male and F2 daughter of sibling to the male ... I'm getting very poor hatch-out from the last several spawns (actually it has been a problem with other pairs over the past 5 years ...). The 1st spawn yield 0 hatch, the 2nd gave me 50+. Unfortunatly the fry tank broke so I lost all those ... 2 subsequent spawns yielded less than 10 fry hatching.

Not sure the pH or hardness (equipment is down). I'm using tap water. Most recently used 50% RO with peat (blackwater) extract. I've put the eggs (slate) into a 2.5 gallon with RO + peat extract + almond leaf @ 82 degrees.

Most probable causes? I'm thinking hardness or minerals in water, though RO should solve ...? Vitamins?

Background ... I used to have a hatchery in my home so I've raised thousands of fry in the past. I never had to play with water parameters as the tap water (used to be) soft enough. Was successful with discuss. I can recall some domestic pairs not having real good (adequate ... 50%) hatchouts several years ago. It has been at least a uear since I've bred angels, and very little breeding over the past 5 years.

Give my your thoughts on correcting ... I yern for the days of 90+% hatchout!

re: Advice? Poor hatch rates

#2
Hi Jeffrey,

Please fill in your personal details so that your location is indicated under your name when you send a mail. In that way we can see where you come from, this will give us a indication of what your water conditions are likely to be and that will indicate to us what sort of advice we need to give you.

There is no reason why Peruvians should not have a very high hatch rate.

Kind regards,

Dirk
Somerset West, South Africa

Re: re: Advice? Poor hatch rates

#3
Dirk Bellstedt wrote:Hi Jeffrey,

Please fill in your personal details so that your location is indicated under your name when you send a mail. In that way we can see where you come from, this will give us a indication of what your water conditions are likely to be and that will indicate to us what sort of advice we need to give you.
OK ... done

Dirk Bellstedt wrote:There is no reason why Peruvians should not have a very high hatch rate.

Kind regards,

Dirk
Yes, that's my concern ... what would cause this, in order of probability?

re: Advice? Poor hatch rates

#4
Jeff,
Have you tried hatching with a sterile tank an airstone an 1ml hydrogen peroxide per gallon every 12 hrs? I get 99% hatch rates where I was lucky to get 25% before. My problem is most likely bacterial. I setup a clean 10 anytime I want to raise a spawn. My tap is pH 7.8 and the TDS is around 450 right now.

Mike

Re: re: Advice? Poor hatch rates

#5
19ghost79 wrote:Jeff,
Have you tried hatching with a sterile tank an airstone an 1ml hydrogen peroxide per gallon every 12 hrs? I get 99% hatch rates where I was lucky to get 25% before. My problem is most likely bacterial. I setup a clean 10 anytime I want to raise a spawn. My tap is pH 7.8 and the TDS is around 450 right now.

Mike
I'll give it a shot ...

Re: re: Advice? Poor hatch rates

#14
Jeffreyrichard wrote:Some more questions ...

1) thoughts about vitamins?

2) I feed krill pellets and FD Bloodworms ...?

3) How long after eggs are laid will sterile eggs show up? How about eggs that die (don't hatch out, but not infertile?
Don´t rely solely on freeze dried or frozen foods, if it is true that these are always desirable (IMO), the fish also need a good algal supplement and vitamin-mineral laced food.

Even when we consider a true carnivore species, they eat predigested vegetable matter when eating their prey (inside their preys´ GI tract).

This especially applies if you use very soft water.

Not that this is the reason of your issues Jeff, but I am sure this piece (of advice) will fit in your puzzle.

Ed
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.

re: Advice? Poor hatch rates

#15
You may also consider increasing T near the 90´s, maybe some metro as a "tonic" to help clean any malady that may be lurking in their system. The catappa can also be of help, but look for a rich whisky color in your water column when using it.

After at least two cycles of metro and high T, take out the metro. Keep up the catappa and high T (86-88F).

This is what I would do to get them in the mood (like when you turn the lights down with your wifey or GF).

I like Mike´s advice... for the actual post spawn.
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.
cron