re: Can you force altums to pair up

They're being kept in a 210, and sorry there's a group of 12 not just 8. He has them with discus I believe, but no 100% sign of pairing. I'm waiting to buy a pair from him but I'm kinda getting impatient since he says that he hasn't seen a single pairing behavior. Which brings up the question of "will putting a male and a female together in their own tank force them to pair up"

If I was you I would just ask to observe the fish for a half hr or so. Preferably while the fish are unaware of you. You should be able to isolate a pair if they are indeed 3 years old and in spawning condition. I would ask him when the fish are most active and observe them then if possible. If you can't isolate a pair any male and female will do.

Re: re: Can you force altums to pair up

19ghost79 wrote:If I was you I would just ask to observe the fish for a half hr or so. Preferably while the fish are unaware of you. You should be able to isolate a pair if they are indeed 3 years old and in spawning condition. I would ask him when the fish are most active and observe them then if possible. If you can't isolate a pair any male and female will do.
So it would be fine to just pick out 1 male and 1 female and throw them into a tank of their own and try to spawn them?

He has separated 2 "pairs" from the group of 12, but I'm not sure if hes getting anywhere. His main tank was really milky with an obvious bacteria bloom from lack of water change. Did struck a deal with him though for 5 mediums and 2 adults, just working on coming up with the asking price. I did see a very nice male and female when they came to the front of the tank.