re: CONGRATULATIONS TO MIKE TROXELL!

Mike, that's so good to see healthy, active, F1 Altum. Do some of them have a broken central bar? If so, the trait appears to be more common in tank raised fish than wild caughts. I wonder what Simon's experience is with this trait? I have seen this on a small proportion of imported wildcaught juveniles.
Again, congratulations on your achievement.
Phill.

Some of them are exhibiting a broken middle bar. I am convinced it is an environmental issue not a genetic one. I am going to raise my next group of fry in a tank with a dark bottom/sides and background. I asked Simon about it but haven't received a response from him since he gave me permission to post his article here.

If this "broken bar" effect is the result of an environmental issue, would I be correct in guessing that faultless fish could be produced from "broken bar" parents?. There were many of these among the Tan fish that were imported into the UK last year. I believe that animal welfare legislation in Germany prevents fish being kept in bare bottom tanks. Could this contribute to the appearance of Simon's fish?

Phil I do believe that flawless fish can and will be reproduced from broken barred parents. I used caribsea torpedo beach sand as a substrate with these guys as soon as they were 2 weeks old. They hadn't even begun to develop pigment yet. I do believe substrate has an effect but I need another spawn to test my theory. I'm going to raise the fry in a tank with a dark substrate and the walls and back of the tank will be painted black. Light schedule may play a role as well. But my fish received plenty of hours of light/dark.