re: CONGRATULATIONS TO MIKE TROXELL!

Great video update Mike! Amazing how much they've grown since I last saw them in person.

Btw seeing the F1's wasnt the only cool part about the visit. It's hard to tell just how big Mike's adult altums are in the video, but they are literally the size of an adult discus in body alone... Not to mention how tame and non-skittish. Quite stunning!

Dennis

Re: re: CONGRATULATIONS TO MIKE TROXELL!

James He wrote:Hi Dennis,

Do you have idea what's the SL when altum is at one year old, two years old and three year old under optimal care?

Regards
James
I can say it definitely varies based on diet and husbandry James. Both Mike's and my fish are exactly the same age, collected and imported all via the same route (see thread Juvy altums 2009). They are now 3 years old or a bit over, and Mike's fish at a conservative estimate are 35 to 40% bigger than my altums, at least. It's a huge contrast and really when it comes to potential SL under optimal care, Mike can give us a much better estimate.

Dennis

califish wrote:Great video update Mike! Amazing how much they've grown since I last saw them in person.

Btw seeing the F1's wasnt the only cool part about the visit. It's hard to tell just how big Mike's adult altums are in the video, but they are literally the size of an adult discus in body alone... Not to mention how tame and non-skittish. Quite stunning!

Dennis
I filmed this video where you can compare sizes of adult discus and adult altums. The altum in this video are from the same group and were raised by Mike for the first two years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw-ZjnceOxI

Ed
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.

James He wrote:Hi Ed,

Some people told me that the Altum can reach almost 5" SL in the first year. I'm not sure if it is possible.
I doubt a year would suffice, at least in captivity.

Ed
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.

19ghost79 wrote:I love the comment on that Youtube vid Ed. First let me clarify standard length...Are we talking tip of the nose to base of the tail?
Yep, SL= tip of mouth to base of tail (AKA caudal peduncle) vs. TL = tip of mouth to end of fin rays. In fish with fin ray extensions, such as Pterophyllum, things can get a little subjective when talking TL.

It is also common among hobbyists of TH, Total Height (AKA TT or Tip to Tip) when talking angelfish, this is measuring the vertical height from the longest ray extensions on the dorsal and anal fins.
E.R.