It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:35 am 

My friend have a group of so called "Surinam" scalare , they are 2 years old and he willing to breed them.
also he was told they are F1.

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/7006 ... 24x683.jpg
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7723 ... 24x683.jpg

Until now no pairs have been formed
So we thought maybe we should try to simulate dry and wet seasons in separate aquarium.

Looking for suggestions on feeding , water chemistry, water changes and durations of simulated seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:17 pm 
Administrator

They are beautiful.

These fish from Surinam will have the same seasons (same latitude) as the Venezuelan State of Amazonas (Surinam actually sits in the North-Central Guyana Shield). This means a wet season from about May through November and a Dry Season roughly starting in late December through April.

Climate in the area, as in the world, has changed significantly in the last two decades, but to simulate the wet season, you will first need to start recreating the end of the dry season (late March/early April). This implies gradually decreasing water changes, increasing temperatures, allowing (but carefully monitoring both fish and ammonia/nitrite) nitrate accumulation, less feeding...all before the preamble of the wet season (late April), where you slightly increase water changes and provide limited LIVE feed (high protein to help egg production).

In May (start of the wet season), you should start heavy water changes, increase water circulation and aeration (all which were more limited during the end of the dry season), lower temperature and maybe dim the lights a bit (clouds).

I would hope your Scalares would respond ot this.

I can try to find some interesting notes with more details on bio-simulation but it may not be easy since my hard drive crashed several months ago. I would have to rely on a friend to get this material again. Drop me an email and I'll do my best.

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:04 pm 
Global Moderator

I do not really attempt to simulate seasons when I want to breed wild Angelfish or Discus. I have had them breed at all times of the year.
I just double down my water changes and increase the amounts of live and frozen food. They will spawn whenever they get in the mood.

Many Pleco breeders attempt to simulate the dry and wet season but I find they respond just as I described above.
Only one species of pleco I raise has been a seasonal breeder and that is Peckoltia compta(L134). Mine have bred from March 1st to about Sept 15th. In the five years I have been breeding this species I have only had one midwinter spawn. It resulted in producing only a few fry instead of 25 on average during what apparently is their breeding season. Now that I have begun breeding my own F1's this summer it remains to be seen whether or not the tank raised fish are as rigid about when they will breed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:37 am 

Hi Larry and Ed
Sorry for late reply

Our goal was not really simulate the season exactly in the same time as it is in the wild ,
Still it is interesting what Ed describes about the climate and season changes.

My friend ordered 2 tanks for the red backs and "surinams" ,
after that we will attemt to play a little bit with w/c , hardness and feeding.

meanwhile they are in community tank without proper conditions for pairing