It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: ORP
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:04 am 

HI
AS I try to better and better control the altum environment ( with not always good results) ,on e of the things that I could measure is ORP. By this I mean mean "how much oxygen is around for them to comfortably breath" Of course at about 30C ,I always wonder if it is high enough. What is the ORP comfort range of altums? Also,if I purchased a $100 ORP meter from the aquarium business..do cheap ones even work in hot water,low PH,low solids etc. For example,under those conditions, ph meters do not work particularly well or for a long time ..even American Marine PIn POints.

THanks Al

Post subject: Re: ORP
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:35 am 

Hi Al
Unfortunately I cannot help much but, I have a GHL Profilux controller so I visit their forum fairly frequently. One of the posts was from an ex reefer who measured ORP in his former reef tank. His question was fairly similar to yours i.e. what range should I be looking for, but the reply from the manufacturer was that 'nobody measures ORP in fresh water'. :|

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:03 pm 
Scientific Research Administator

Hi Al and Tinpot,

Perhaps I can help a little here.

The reply from the manufacturer saying that nobody measures ORP in fresh water, shows ignorance on his behalf. We have in the past had extensive discussions about ORP and the effect it has on altum angel and discus keeping, but I discovered that this was really long ago, 11 years to be precise. Go and have a look here, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=697&hilit=ORP and you may find that many of your questions will be answered there.

ORP can be very valuable when keeping altums and discus because the higher the ORP the more healthy the environment is for them.

Kind regards,

Dirk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:03 pm 

Dirk Bellstedt wrote:
Hi Al and Tinpot,

Perhaps I can help a little here.

The reply from the manufacturer saying that nobody measures ORP in fresh water, shows ignorance on his behalf. We have in the past had extensive discussions about ORP and the effect it has on altum angel and discus keeping, but I discovered that this was really long ago, 11 years to be precise. Go and have a look here, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=697&hilit=ORP and you may find that many of your questions will be answered there.

ORP can be very valuable when keeping altums and discus because the higher the ORP the more healthy the environment is for them.

Kind regards,

Dirk

Thanks Dirk. The Profilux controller did actually come with a redox probe as part of the set (these controllers are primarily targeted at reef keepers) but I didn't bother utilising it precisely because of the post I mentioned. I'll connect it and see what results it gives. It's interesting that you mentioned the age of the ORP thread as, since joining late last year, I often find myself trawling through the various sections looking for anything interesting/useful/informative. Unfortunately a lot of these topics ARE fairly old. Perhaps it would be useful if some of the latest thinking/techniques could be kept as stickies at the top of the relevant forums to make them more easily accessible for newcomers and could possibly lead to more discussion on the board?