It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 am 

I found interesting test of 3 filter medias and their Total Ammonia Nitrogen removing capacities.
http://www.e-fas.org/Upload/files/E-FAS/18_%EC%A1%B0%EC%9E%AC%EC%9C%A4_2011_135_2011_12_26.pdf

Now, I'm trying to understand a bit more about this and wondering how much is this really applicable to our filters if we are doing 80%+ of water changes every day. There is not enough ammonia to feed bacteria and then when we account that we keep it in ph <6.8 and TDS of close to 0, bacteria just has no conditions to live in our filters.
For bacteria to live in our filters we have to keep Alkalinity around 4dH, ph 6.8 - 7.2, and temp. 30C.
When I summarize this, only way to really keep Altums is to do water changes of 80% or more per day.
I understand that there should be slow process of dropping ph and let bacteria acclimatize, as per article that Ed did with an expert in this area.
Even if we do all that, actual removal rate drops dramatically at water conditions that we need for Altums.
Is my thinking of the base here?

Slobodan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:18 pm 

Hi all,

I just stumbled onto this paper/study which shows exactly what Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec explained to Ed in their e-mail exchange. I'm not saying that Dr. Timothy was referring to that particular paper but it proves it on more laboratory level.
I find it interesting and hope you do too.. :)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC525248/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:04 pm 
Administrator

80% water change daily? Hope you pay flat rate water like I used to. I think you may be over doing it a bit. If your filter is not cycled (as in a new tank), I can understand a 50% per day, but this goes with the bioload (and ammonia production), but if your filter is well established and balanced to the bioload, you can do 50-100% A WEEK (roughly 10-15% daily) and you should be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:08 pm 
Administrator

slobodan wrote:
Hi all,

I just stumbled onto this paper/study which shows exactly what Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec explained to Ed in their e-mail exchange. I'm not saying that Dr. Timothy was referring to that particular paper but it proves it on more laboratory level.
I find it interesting and hope you do too.. :)
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC525248/

Gave the paper a quick read... yep, very informative, thanks for sharing.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:56 am 

HI BTW
1.I do 50% ish every two days ,maybe slide to three, in my 220 with 10 adults ..which is quite a lot of water. However,I cannot say that all is well all of the time..theoretically,my water changes could be too frequent . I also find that ,particularly after I added 3-4 quite small bristle nosed plecos fairly recently, all of the rapidly developing biofilm on the tank walls and the biolawn on the mostly bare bottom has mercifully disapeared. However,now i absolutely must siphon out pleco detrius daily,for sure. THat is ok with me though.

2.my baby German altums get 50% almost everyday but they eat like mad. THere are plecos in with them also.

3.My 6 getting big Uaru fernandezipezi need 50 % per day in a 110. Being at least partial vegetarians and with plecos in there also,they make a mess and need to be siphoned everyday and that inevitably leads to a water change. My daughter took care of them and did water changes somehow without siphoning when I was on vacation for a week last summer a killed one big one in full health..and I spent a month getting the rest comfortable again.

Al

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:14 pm 

Found this interesting fact:

"For every gram of ammonia oxidised into nitrate 4.8 grams of oxygen is used, 7.14 grams of calcium carbonate is used (now you know why pH crash can occur in tanks with to little buffering capacity)."