Re: POTHOS NITRATE FILTER

MikeTroxell wrote:Ed
I have a customer/friend that also works with glass as a hobby. He's built a couple different stands for his lights that allow the pothos to grow underneath with fantastic results. I'll get some pics for you.
Sounds real interesting!
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.

I literally have pothos in every single one of my tanks. Dont see a reason not to. I also love the look of both the leaves and the roots. Lighting for me is only LED clip lights or a Finnex 24/7 light fixture. Dont really need much light for these babies. They work freaking great too. I had a really bad green water problem in my outdoor pond, water was severally green. Two days after putting pothos in the pond the water became gin clear. Really a must have in my opinion.

I work with glass making my own aquariums and tops so I decided to make a glass light bar so that the pothos can grow under it. Not only did this improve the grown rate dramatically, but the plants naturally grow towards light and therefore made the leave grow upwards. Really cool effect.

One other cool thing about my leaves is that they naturally drip water from their tips. Almost like morning dew. Also really cool.

You guys are really getting me hyped up back on the pothos. One interesting thing is on one of my mattenfilters, I have a pothos growing its roots into it, something I will try to "cultivate" into my other mattenfilters (all my tanks are now equipped with such mattenfilters).
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.

oceanG wrote:About light yes I think so it's an important factor, my aquarium is open top and has two projectors with LED 10w that I can orient how I want and at what height I consider as good , it was originally closer to the surface but were too strong so I have amounted to about 32cm . It's important color temperature , I not know how many kelvin heave your lamp, my tank gets more light per day being placed in the living room where I have many windows, ultimately it is a combination of factors yet more light matter. In my aquarium I had good results with water hyacinth only I destroyed it when I made a treatment with hydrogen peroxide
When you say good results with water hyacinth do you mean just growing the plant or reducing nitrates ?

Tinpot wrote:Does anyone have pictures of the (Pothos) roots in the tank ? I really like the sound of this.
Hey Mikey, can you change into your superman costume real quick?
E.R.

Tinpot wrote:When you say good results with water hyacinth do you mean just growing the plant or reducing nitrates ?
Yes I meant plant growth, about nitrates I can not say with accuracy witch plant keep nitrates under control , in water there are the roots of pothos , those of spatiphylium and those of philodendron

Pothos monoculture or in combination with similar water loving plants, are excellent and natural nitrate removers.
I personally never tried very hard to grow these types of plants in my tanks I certainly do believe in their utility to aquarium husbandry.

It seems to me that using even a relatively small amount of fibrous aquarium peat, such as Fluval's, would be a good potting substrate which would promote good root growth. I've been out of touch. Seems this one has been discontinued although marinedepot.com and a listing on ebay may be productive. Boiled Canadian peat fiber should also be fine and cheap, to boot.

Supplemental lighting seems to me to be the greatest challenge. Many aquarists in the more northern latitudes struggle for enough ambient natural light, in both duration and intensity during the fall through early spring.

I've found 6400K, T-2 fluorescent lights to be very good performers as well as highly efficient. Prices for complete fixture w/lamp are reasonable. I have extensive experience with these. Review them here: http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com ... ml#t2light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They sell a wide variety of high intensity LED lights. Not positive about this but they may have a type which screws into a standard household socket. Saves money, if it's an option. Hey, if nothing else, americanaquariumproducts.com has a motherload of technical information about lighting aquaria that's well worth keeping in mind for future reference.
Larry Waybright
Trout fly fisherman.

Looks like Santa came by a few days ahead and dropped us our Christmas present!
Larry, So nice to know you are still part of this earthly realm! I read your email and I'll get back to you later tonight!
Ed
E.R.

Ed,
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I haven't been well enough to bother with the internet but I am getting stronger so I'm trying to engage.
A very Merry Christmas to all my fellow finarama members and may your wild Pterophyllum be fruitful and multiply!
Larry Waybright
Trout fly fisherman.

Hi Ed, here is a picture of some of the roots of Pothos in the corner of my tank

and here is a picture of the tank, the pothos on top ws recently hacked back, if you look in the tank you can see some stems that have grown and run through the tank in amongt the other plants

it will grow with lots of light and it will grow in very dim light, it's a very forgiving plant and should be used more to aid filtering the water in tanks

Hey Joe, that was some long hibernation! Don't you bears wake up in Spring when wild salmon are jumping?
Nice to see some old timers still around.

Very nice pics of your tank, love the jungle look.
E.R.

apistomaster wrote:Ed,
Thanks for the warm welcome.
I haven't been well enough to bother with the internet but I am getting stronger so I'm trying to engage.
A very Merry Christmas to all my fellow finarama members and may your wild Pterophyllum be fruitful and multiply!
Hey Larry, do you still go fly fishing?
E.R.