It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: riboos tea
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:28 am 

HI
I see that Pat is a proponent of riboos tea added,I presume, as a liquid daily. I have been thinking of giving it a try. I currently use cattapa leaves but they have their issues. For example, if you add it to an established planted apisto tank or a chocolate gourami tank they will lie there undisturbed and useful more or less forever. However once added to an altum grow out tank which is constantly being vacuumed/water changed, they are in the way constantly, break down fairly fast in the heat and ,in general make a mess in a tank that you are trying to keep pristine. There could be as many as 36 cattappa leaves lying on the bottom of a 4 foot 120gallon..all caught in the python. I put them into my sump where they made the sump a mess so I got them out of there,also..
So, the riboos looks interesting, though I still have my original fear that without putting the leaves into the water themselves, effectiveness could be minimal or very short in duration. I don't actually know but it is possible that all the active ingredients plate out, chelate out,denature in no time.
In any case,the recipe is here on the website..how do I mix this stuff?
AS always, many thanks
Regards Al

Post subject: Re: riboos tea
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:37 pm 
Website Development

Hi Al,

Buy the Rooibos tea loose and simply place a couple teaspoons in a small media bag and place it in the tank and leave it. It is that simple. You can buy the tea from Amazon.

Pat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:38 pm 

I prefer to brew it as a tea and add it to the water that way.

If you cannot find rooibos at a decent price, I bought about 18 kilos a while back and do sell it in the states.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:05 pm 
Administrator

Hi Al,
About the catappa leaves, you can also put them in media bags, or tie some with a zip tie and put them in a corner of your tank. There are many ways to use them without making your tank messy.
And then of course, common sense will tell you when to remove them. For apistos I just leave them there, creating what we can call an "intentional but controlled mess", that covers a thin sand substrate where blackworms live and thrive. Great for apisto fry. This does not mean the tan is not cleaned, of course you do your water changes, but the leaf mulm has a biological purpose.

In altum tanks, a few catappa leaves add some life to the scene, but after they have given their goodies to the water, its best if we take them out. I just tie some leaves at the stem with a zip tie or rubber band and place them in a corner for 3-5 days. You can make a nice mulm with the decomposong leaves that blackworms feed on (of cpurse, in a separate tank).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:06 pm 
Administrator

Chris, please feel free to post prices, etc. for you rooibos, the marketplace is all yours!