It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: tail fraying
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:03 pm 

Hi Slobodan,

It happened to me on two occasions, both related. I don't know if fin frying and fin rot is the same but from
your photos look exactly like in my case.
In first instance my altums were only for two or three months in my tank when some of them start showing fins starting to rot. Quick check on Internet pointed me to use Melafix as cure for this problem. I hate to use any
drugs in my aquariums but I had no choice. I change 25% of water and applied Melafix. It slowed down progress
of fin rot but it didn't cure it. After period of time following instructions how to use Melafix I changed 40% of water.
Doing so I've noticed rotting smell in aquarium. Very quickly I realized that smell was coming from driftwood.
Two days later after removing it and water change fins started to heal.
In second instance it happened last month when I moved my Altums to new tank. Within several days all of them
got very mild fin rot. I knew that I had to check my driftwood again. It was very hard mangrove bush and very well weathered but had soft top layer of silvery dry rot.
I introduced two bristle nose catfish and they knew what to do. After few weeks driftwood was cleaned and Altums
recovered practically over night.
Altums don't like drastic changes of any sort. You should check your water change regime. Cloudy water is sign
that you are introducing some kind of food and minerals with it which creates bloom. It could be bacteria, infusoria who knows. Obviously your Altums don't feel good.
My suggestion is to smell your driftwood, clean it with high pressure water jet and change water ( 25% only RO water) and wait.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:18 am 

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply..
Will do as you suggested and let's see what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:26 am 

O by the way Mark, your description of how it looks and how it happens is bang on. Thanks a lot for reply, gives me quite bit of confidence now...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 am 

Hey guys,

I did try Mark's suggestion and right now everything is out of the aquarium other then Amazon sword, still battle with torn fins.. it's just not healing.. been fighting this since January..
I've tried Paraguard, polyguard and it seems like it stopped and got a bit better but it's coming back..
I'm really stumped here and not sure what to do anymore..
I'm doing Katapa leaves now and that's my last attempt before I find a veterinarian that is willing to send a sample to a lab for analysis.
Would appreciate any suggestions here..

Slobodan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:44 pm 

I can not say if he will help but he helped me in many situations, including in the marine aquarium where I had a white velvet epidemic. I speak of hydrogen peroxide in the concentration of 0.3% (as sold in pharmacies) the dose is 40-70 ml / 100 l aquarium water. It's a powerful antibacterial so it should work , sure for plants (if you have) I do not guarantee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:19 pm 

Thanks OceanG... I'll see how my katapa treatment goes and I might just try that.. how long do you do that treatment?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:18 pm 

I did the treatment every other day, with water exchange before ~ ​​30%, watching to see not to disturb the fish, but mine did not show that. That until you see improvements

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:08 am 

Why haven't you tried a real antibiotic.Fin rot is a bacterial infection.Furan 2 will work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:50 am 

hi blue lagun,

I did.. Did full treatment with kanaplex+Furan2 and it seem to slow things down but it always comes back.
Short of sending a specimen to a lab I'm at loss of what's going on.. and even that doesn't seem to be easy in Ontario,Canada..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:35 pm 

HI
I have dealt with this sort of fraying thing over the last three years that I grew up my now adults.
My experience is not universal but i still think it applies and so does the "treatment". IN my experience,fin rot/'fraying is just a water quality issue so forget about medical intervention of any kind.except for deworming....find the root cause which can be complex. Do this following stuff and you should find that it goes away:

1.Maintain good hygeine
2.Get those small bristlenosed plecos but get them deparasited first ( takes a month for sure).THey are not just good but may be essential.
3.Get the altums deparasited..it is important and parasites linger and add stress. ( takes a month ..three separate meds)
4.Redeparasite the plecos and the altums together ( another month).
During this time nothing will die but should improve.Then ureka!! you will get red eyes on the altums starting with one individual first. At that point you are "away". All Fraying and pectoral fin base growth disapears. Short pelvic fins and old damage heal and they become easy to keep. THe red eyes are your guide..but in adults.. young ones seem to have grey eyes.

Keep in mind that this is in adults..it is much harder to do with younger adult fish in "feedlot "situations.Ignore directions to raise the ph. Keep them permanently at 5 to under 6 .TDS not so important but about 100 is fine. and keep them at 30C. Feed only twice a day.

A Bit of a big deal but doable and worth the trouble