It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: nutshells in altum tank
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:23 am 

well as all you know i,m always trying to make my tanks look as realistic as possible and now i found something new

nutshells from south america !!!!

i found them here
http://shop.panta-rhei-aquatics.com/Aqu ... :::59.html

i already added some small ones to my tank and
the bigger ones are still in a bucket i,m waiting for them sink to the bottom still ,after that i,ll put them in the tank and i,ll add some pics when they are in the tank

here,s some pics of how they look

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:34 am 
Administrator

Like I say, you must have an artists vein somewhere in your pedigree, always inventing, innovating.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:31 pm 

puertoayacucho wrote:
Like I say, you must have an artists vein somewhere in your pedigree, always inventing, innovating.

thanks Ed ,i always want it to look as realistic as possible and i thought this was a nice detail ,also i now noticed the large shells make a good hiding place for my loricaria eigenmanni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:15 am 
Scientific Research Administator

Dear Andries,

You may be surprised that I react to this from South Africa, but those nutshells that you refer to are not really nutshells but seed capsules from a tree which comes from Brazil but is grown in South Africa as a street tree. Literally hundreds of these trees line the streets of Pretoria, the capital of South Africa, just have a look here:

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=jacar ... 40&bih=775

The trees produce thousands of these beautiful flowers and then they produce these seed capsules as you have put them in your aquarium. Where I work in Stellenbosch, there is also an alley of these trees and they produce many of these capsules every year. They are green when they appear on the tree, then go brown and then burst open to release the seeds which have wings to aid their distribution.

Although these capsules are quite hard, I would be careful and would check them regularly to see that they do not get soft and rot, because then they would cause more problems than good.

I visited Panta Rhei in January 2014 and was very impressed with their setup, they have very many, very well maintained aquaria with a vast number of different species which they sell. I have posted this pic on another thread, but I will post it here again as this shows very nicely how one can use wood and pots as ornaments in an aquarium in which one keeps altums.

Kind regards,

Dirk

Image[/img]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:53 am 

Dirk Bellstedt wrote:
Dear Andries,

You may be surprised that I react to this from South Africa, but those nutshells that you refer to are not really nutshells but seed capsules from a tree which comes from Brazil but is grown in South Africa as a street tree. Literally hundreds of these trees line the streets of Pretoria, the capital of South Africa, just have a look here:

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=jacar ... 40&bih=775

The trees produce thousands of these beautiful flowers and then they produce these seed capsules as you have put them in your aquarium. Where I work in Stellenbosch, there is also an alley of these trees and they produce many of these capsules every year. They are green when they appear on the tree, then go brown and then burst open to release the seeds which have wings to aid their distribution.

Although these capsules are quite hard, I would be careful and would check them regularly to see that they do not get soft and rot, because then they would cause more problems than good.

I visited Panta Rhei in January 2014 and was very impressed with their setup, they have very many, very well maintained aquaria with a vast number of different species which they sell. I have posted this pic on another thread, but I will post it here again as this shows very nicely how one can use wood and pots as ornaments in an aquarium in which one keeps altums.

Kind regards,

Dirk

Image[/img]

hi Dirk ,that,s funny i figured out the same yesterday when i was googling on the names of the shells .
Very nice purple trees!

I will check them every now and then and see if they start to go bad.

kind regards
andre