It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: white dot on the eye
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:53 am 

Since a while, I have 2 of my Santa Isabels having a small white dot in the centre of both eyes. My thinking is that it is a mechanical cause. I usually change 70% water at once and at the end they are stressed. I decided to change 10% daily from now on. I added some salt because I know this helps when the fish is producing an excess of mucus (don't know if this is the same cause), but it didn't help.

This doesn't disturb them, they eat and behave normal. Does anyone has an idea of got the same experience?

Post subject: Re: white dot on the eye
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:49 am 
Administrator

Hi Maanvis, is there a possibility that maybe at some moment they may have scraped the skin over the cornea?
I know you keep your fish at higher standards so honestly, I'm not thinking of disease or a deficiency, but you are saying they would get stressed at the higher water change rate. Maybe they got skittish at some moment and may have scraped their eyes. If it is a mechanical lesion this may or may not cure by itself, depending on how intense the lesion is.

I posted about two or three years ago of an incident where sixteen of my young altum (out of a group of over 70 fish) suffered severe scraping of the sclera (eye skin), some penetrating into the cornea, after a prolonged power outage (the fishroom was in complete darkness for several hours and of course, all pumps and aerators went off). This tank has a sand substrate and when the power came back, the fish were startled by the sudden light and blast of water current, after being completely still, in the dark, for a long time; and they started diving into the sand and walls of the tank for over 15, maybe 20 minutes, until they calmed down.

No fish died, but sixteen had bad damage to their eyes and very few of these recovered completely. Most of these fish could eat, but they could no longer compete on an equal basis with the healthy fish and started to lag behind in growth. I gave that group of sixteen a tank of their own and provided special treatment to the best of my ability and maybe four went back to the main growth tank or other growth tanks with smaller groups, but I ended giving the fish with eye problems to a friend.

I used salt and methylene blue, also prazipro (in case of parasitical eye infection), but nothing helped with the eyes of the more severely injured fish.

Best of luck,

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:35 pm 

Thanks Ed,

Yes, I think they scraped off some tissue. It seems to take time to recover, but there is no issue, no infection, no further lesion. I decided to not apply large waterchanges anymore. I'm not convinced this is better from a general point of view, it is at least more efficient from waterhousekeeping standpoint, but this is only one aspect.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:56 pm 
Administrator

How do you prep the water you use for changes? Is it tap, RO, a mix?

I change maybe 60% to 100% a week, but rarely more than 20-30% at once.

I mainly use straight RO which comes out at pH 6.4 but my substrate adds alkalinity. Occasionally I use straight tap directly, but only for the smaller changes.

My grandfather would always say: "As the Greek man said: Everything in excess is opposed to nature".

Good luck.
Ed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:22 am 

I'm using tapwater, it is relatively soft where I live, around 400 microS/cm. I used RO water during a while, but since they were kept on tapwater in the store (Hustincx), this allowed more flexibility and easier and larger waterchanges. I bought them as adults / semi-adults in 2009. They are in good shape. I will continue changing 10% per day. My nitrate is at 10ppm, my tapwater somewhat lower (I guess somewhere around 5 ppm, first gradation in color is 10 ppm).

Thanks for your comment Ed.