It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: altums temperature
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:51 am 

HI Another question.
I know that the receiving temperature of wild altum babies is 86f. Somehow,I have never read a guideline for what temp they can be kept at after acclimation. All winter I have heated about a million gallons of water in my storage tanks from 50F from the well to 86F and it has cost a fortune. At what temperature point am I OK. I would at least want to lower the storage tanks temperature a bit ( they get too hot..above 86F) even if I had to keep the actual fish tanks high.
THanks al

Post subject: Re: altums temperature
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:22 pm 
Website Development

Altum can handle temps as low as 75F. They're a warm water fish so they like to be at a minimum of 80F all the way up to 88F. Why not place the tub of water in a heated part of your house? The water will slowly warm to ambient air temperature.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:57 pm 
Administrator

During the winter months they wil be fine at around 80-82F. Like Eric says, they will even be happy, at around 75F, just that they will eat less. So if they are less than 2 or 3 years old and you don't want their growth affected, try to keep them above 80F. Mid 80's is ideal and 88F and up should be used more as a stimulating therapy.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 am 

Hi
allright, OK thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:07 pm 
Administrator

Al, where was that post about the PAM spray oil for the meds to stick to the fish food? It was you who wrote about that wasn't it? I can't seem to find the thread.
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:41 pm 

Hi
Yes that was me but it was not in a thread. THis info is from the "head tech' at API who indicated that commercial medicated foods were pretty useless as their shelf life is very short.
I have done this method and it clearly works with tetracycline ( which evidently is working again since it has fallen out of fashion)for treatment of small altums with columnaris.
JUst take a cookie sheet, line it with foil, lay a thin layer of flakes down on it and sprinkle the medicine evenly over the flakes. Do not worry about an overdose as the commercial meds ( like API meds) are basically almost all carrier. Then ,holding the can of Pam well up ( even two feet from the flakes) and mist the oil spray on the meds/flakes. You can clearly see the Pam sticking the meds to the flakes. THen let it dry a bit and feed some and store the rest in the fridge where it is only good for 4-5 days with it's potency going down every day as it oxidizes.
If you screw up and hit it with the Pam too hard, all the flakes blow away. If that occurs, just try again and you will get the knack. I always put on too much oil ,I think, but that did not seems to matter.
All powdered meds that are commercially produced as flakes can be homemade.. IN my case,the tetracycline worked fast..if they ate it,they looked better in 24 hours.I fed all of the 5 day supply. It will not work on a bad case.

regards Al

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:51 pm 
Administrator

Maybe we can make a thread where we discuss different methods. I like this PAM spray method because it's simple and quick, but I haven't tried it yet.

So I'd like to invite you to start up a new thread where we can discuss these methods. What do you say?

The best section for this is DISEASES AND TREATMENTS.

Ed