It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: UV Sterilizer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:40 am 

I came across this article on UV flow rates and redox levels.http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

Post subject: Re: UV Sterilizer
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:17 pm 
Administrator

Hi Dick, that's a good article to read. some of us are familiar with it but it's always a great read for those starting with UV in their tanks.

The basic concepts here are:

1. The slower your water flows through your UV unit, the more microbes get killed.
2. The more wattage your UV unit irradiates, the faster it can handle a larger flow.
3. Our interest is not to clarify, but to sterilize, therefor the more wattage and "balanced" flow, the better chances of getting the best results.

This said, I like to overdo exposition of the water column by using an overrated UV unit for my size of tank and run the water through at a relatively slow rate.

We have members (i.e. twotankadministrator: Chris) who prefer a more technical approach and go by standard calculations. This may help you to not spend unnecessary money and still obtain optimum benefits with your UV unit, and still end up with more in pocket for other needs that may arise.

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:25 pm 

I put a 9 watt on the altum tank with a 250 gallon per hour rating powerhead. I was interested in that the link I provided said the lights were good for 41 days. I am guessing they meant for sterilizing at the highest level.

Last edited by DLFL on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:55 pm 
Administrator

Honestly I never bothered myself to throw numbers on it, like Chris did or does with most equipment, a very methodical person. I'd just go on Ebay or classified looking for a 36W or a 55W (may tanks are 90G thru a 240G) and run them off powerheads of about the size you have, 250gph. I have both straight and spiral UV's. Overkill, yes, clean water, also yes. I change bulbs 6 months when I start seeing algae on my glass, or any minimum turbidity in the water.