It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: cattappa leaves haze
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:14 pm 

HI

Last time I posted,just recently,I mentioned that I had just developed a bit of a haze ( like a chemical haze which someone from the chemical industry would recognise)in my new baby altum holding tank.It does not bother them(touch wood fast)but it is disquieting and getting a little worse.I have had them two weeks and have been adding cattappa leaves. However, the leaves could not produce the required light tea color because of my small UV which I do want to leave on as a precaution . Because of this,over the two weeks I now have about 30 leaves in a 55 gal and I know that i am supposed to have 10-15 in there.It still is not really the correct color but the water is stained. Do we know if it is likely that all those leaves have caused the haze or do we know that one can put in very many cattappa leaves and never cause a haze. Also,I have new cattappa leaves just in from Singapore.I could replace all of my old leaves with the correct dose of new ones.
Any cattapa leave info of any kind would be helpful..From reading,I do not beleive that any of the leaves are just too old. Of course,it may have nothing to do with the leaves..but they are the new addition.
Many thanks
Al

Post subject: Re: cattappa leaves haze
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:36 pm 
Administrator

Hi Al, good and well cleaned catappa leaves do not produce haze. If the leaves were old, maybe even used and resold (I've seen it happen) or poorly stored, submitted to high humidity, all these could be factors that can allow the leaf tissue to physically change and then, maybe it can become a source of haze, such leaf tissue dissolving in the water increasing turbidity, but this would be resolved by a fine particulate filter. A bacterial bloom is another possibility, but again, only leaves in noticeably poor condition (you would know) can serve to feed bacteria. You have a UV on, that would take care of a bacterial bloom.

All this said, when you work with freshly collected catappa that has been well stored/packaged, don't think your UV will kill the tannins all too fast.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:26 pm 
Administrator

How are things coming along Al?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:17 pm 

HI
No,I have not disapeared.I was very busy learning about everything including medicated flake food ( evidently have a shelf life of 7-10 days once opened..including the stuff you never feed) The best thing to do is make your own. A bit of a moot point since any altums I have which might have benefited from the food won't eat it.
Tertracycline,after a lull of some 20 years is working again ,as it is not used so much by fish farms.Best to try it and if unsuccessful,go to furan -2,for example . THis is info from the API lab . This info is another moot point since ,once a baby altum has gotten sick (colunmaris) here,I have to date never successfully treated one...That included ( not on the same fish) P.P.ing, cattappa/salt which is as good as anything, furan -2 with and without salt, and praying to the God of fish and chainsaws who is not much of a listener.
That being the case,at least some of them never got sick, so never were treated unsuccessfully. They thrived in the cattappa water once i got in new leaves from Singapore. The old cattappa was not the cause of the haze..at least when took it out of the tank and put it in another tank,it never hazed. I removed a log from the hazy tank ( not a factor ,I think),replaced the old cattappa with the new, kept cleaning well and ..when I raised the ph from 4 slowly to 4.8 all of the haze disapeared overnight and never returned.
I will have to purchase some more and hope that my receieving protocol improvements are now at the level where, success is more likely. Shipping from John at HAW by Southwest airport pick up is really excellent. I think John has to do the 4:00 in the morning thing to get them to me in the afternoon.

I have 7 actually thriving and growing like mad and three more in a post treatment tank with low ph and cattappa and nothing else. At least two just may recover completely though all of this certainly did their growth rate no good.
I was trying to sneak away from today to next saturday on a vacation. I cancelled the front end of it due to shakiness at my restaurant and I would not leave these fish even with my good babysitter who has a reef tank . I'll take a few days and I think with the way I can leave things for a few days that all will be well.

Al

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:11 pm 
Administrator

I see your getting a good grip on the situation. Glad to see you back.
What kind of wood is that log you have...some of the medium to softer woods can cause haze.