It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Blackwater
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:56 pm 
Registration Administrator

I have made many efforts to create a suitable Blackwater environment for fish over the years, using Peat (messy), Catappa (expensive) Alder cones (looks good), infusion of Oak leaves / bark (unpopular with Spouse when you spill it on the hob). However the only additive that appears to invigorate my fish is natural rainwater runoff from peat moorland. I don't know what the risk is of introducing pathogens / pollutants with this practice, (it definately contains sheep waste products, I saw some floating, and small Brown trout) but the fish appear to appreciate it.
This is such a source on Bodmin Moor in Cornwall

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: re: Blackwater
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:51 am 
Administrator

Would it be practical to collect water from this stream at a place upstream where there is less sheep related residue?

In any case, a water analysis done at a lab should help you find out if there is anything bad for the fish in the water.

Best indicator is that your fish like it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:25 pm 

If only I lived near such a stream...oh wait, there are no such streams here in Singapore :(

I use Catappa leaves these days when I want to create a blackwater effect. They're really cheap here - I get a pack of 20-30 leaves for S$1 (S$1.3 = US$1) so I buy them 5-10 packs at a time. It's pretty economical for me when I'm maintaining 2 large tanks (120gal and 240gal).

Previously, I used peat (S$3 for a bag), but I found peat too messy for my liking.

With the Catappa leaves, I just dump them into a filter bag and throw the filter bag in the sump - change them every 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:33 am 
Administrator

Definitely Catappa is the way to go if you can get them at a good price. There are some accessible vendors on Ebay which I use when I can't get them from Venezuela for free (My sister brings them along when she visits me). For this only reasons it's a pity they are moving back to the States in a few months... no more free catappa for my fish.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:49 am 
Website Development

Bill P. on SD mentioned he boils IALs in RO water to make a blackwater extract. I have not tried it myself. May work with catappa leaves also. Easy enough to try.

Pat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:16 am 
Scientific Research Administator

May I let you in on a little secret, guys.

In South Africa, there are two herbal teas that were used by the San people before the place was colonized. These are called Rooibostee and Heuningbostee, or in English red bush tea and honey bush tea. Both are high in polyphenols, but both do not contain caffeine. There is a lot of research that is currently being done to actually establish what their active ingredients are, but they have a calming effect on the user, and are also good for women in menopause. Having said that they definitely do not contain any steroids! Rooibos tea has been available in the UK and in the USA for a number of years and is the latest amoungst all the health gurus.

Well, the killifish people started using Rooibos tea for keeping their fishes if they needed water high in humic acids and it works very well apparently and you get quite difficult fishes to breed if you add this stuff. It can be brewed like a normal tea with boiling water and once cooled off, I would add it directly to the tank water. I have done this with good effect and this reminds me to do this as I want to get my discus to breed again.

Try it yourself, it tastes very different to normal tea, but I find it very pleasant and I am sure that your fishes would as well!

Kind regards,

Dirk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:46 pm 
Administrator

I'll definitely be on the look out for some.. I wonder if they might sell them in the regular supermarkets here in the US or if I'll need to go to a specialized health store?
Ed

Post subject: Re: re: Blackwater
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:51 pm 
Administrator

Second Hand Pat wrote:
Bill P. on SD mentioned he boils IALs in RO water to make a blackwater extract. I have not tried it myself. May work with catappa leaves also. Easy enough to try.

Pat

Not sure if I got you there.... IAL IS Catappa.

Indian Almond Leaves are laves from Terminalia catappa (AKA Ketapang tree, Catappa Tree)

Maybe you knew this but the "also" confused me and just wanted to clarify for anyone reading along.

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:55 pm 
Administrator

I use catappa, Canadian peat, and/or Kent or Tetra blackwater, I don't used peat alone anymore and most of the time I don't even full around with it... though the good thing it is so cheap when I buy the bale (but I don't ever use the full bale!). So now I'll be trying these teas in my brew in addition to the other stuff.

I like to use the Kent or Tetra bw products because they're cheap and darken the water quickly, and the fish do perk up a bit when I add this stuff. Kent and Tetra are the only two products I use. Marc Weiss' Instant Amazon is great, if you can find it (or order it), but costs double the price of the other two and I have not seen it locally here in SLC. I did throw away my money on the Brightwell product once.... but that was it, just once.

Ed

Post subject: Re: re: Blackwater
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm 
Website Development

puertoayacucho wrote:
Second Hand Pat wrote:

Pat

Not sure if I got you there.... IAL IS Catappa.

Indian Almond Leaves are laves from Terminalia catappa (AKA Ketapang tree, Catappa Tree)

Maybe you knew this but the "also" confused me and just wanted to clarify for anyone reading along.

Ed

Hey Ed,

I didn't know that IAL and catappa leafs were the some. Do now lol. When you use peat how do you use it. In panty hose? I have a bale but not quite sure how to use it. It finer then I was expecting. Also I found the tea online.

Pat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:15 pm 

we have ketapang trees growing all over the place in malaysia. we use it for blackwater for our arowanas. but we dont have altums sob sob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:10 am 
Administrator

With peat, one of two ways:

Using r/o water:
1. I bring the water to a boil and shut it off, immediately putting in about 2 qt full of peat into the 8 qt kettle and leaving it here til' next day. I only use the water.
2. In a 55G plastic drum full of r/o water, I throw in a 5g bucket of peat, an airline or powerhead and forget about it.

Today, even if I still have some peat around, I seldom use it for my fish tanks. Until recently I could get catappa leaves free from Venezuela where it also grows all over the place, but my mother and sister (who would bring them up for me) now permanently moved to Florida. I am now buying from an Ebay provider who has treated me really well. I buy a lot at a time.

The catappa leaves I prefer to hang them in a net bag up in a corner of the tank. I some times allow the leaves to just float throughout the aquarium until waterlogged and provide leaf litter over the substrate.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:20 am 
Administrator

Baled peat is pretty much crumbled, probably for better compression in the airtight bale bags. Natural Sphagnum Peat that comes in smaller bags is best, not as fine but rather in a natural filament form, would be great for net bagging in an aquarium. This last type is hardly ever available around my place and I don't remember the brand the last time I saw it.

One other thing you can do is place the stuff in a bag in the aquarium and at the same time connect a water polishing filter (i.e. magnum 350 with polishiing cartridge). The filter will take out the finer particles and leave a crystal clear amber peat water which is what you want.

The more of these different plant matter we are talking about you use, I believe the richer your blackwater will be.

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:09 am 

I have a 100 gal storage tank that I mix R/O and tap water in . I use an old canister filter on this which is filled with peat and catappa leaves in cut off pantyhose . The peat is from the East Coast of Canada , but peat from Maine has the same acid content , just read the the label on the bale to make sure there are no chemicals added . I pump this water into my wild tanks when I do a water change and it keeps the water a nice amber colour.

Doug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:18 pm 
Administrator

So what you do is that you contain the peat and catappa in a dedicated canister running a 100 gallon water storage tank used for your water changes?

That is definitely a very nice way to do things... no mess... at all.. I assume you have fine filtration pads in your canister to pick up the fine peat particles.

Just gave me an idea... I will post it later.

Ed

Last edited by puertoayacucho on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.