It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: re: Parameter Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:09 am 
Administrator

Quote:

This all said, if you do not have a marine reef aquarium, just a fish or plant only aquarium and feel more secure with a flow rate of 10 gph per watt, by all means go for it, but generally this is just money wasted in my experience

A rather subjective POV. Inferring maybe that a marine reef aquarium needs a higher UV exposure in comparison to a "just fish or plant only" aquarium.

An altum, a molly, a mosquito fish, a a guppy... all the same crap.

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:48 pm 

Ed- Thanks for the sand idea- looks like it should work and I have a few Home Depots in the area.

Those UV quotes came from the site you sent me to, Ed. They claim to have 30 years of doing UV and most of the info there seemed pretty well thought out. The observations I quoted were just their opinions, but if I am taking their opinions for which brands/types of UV to use, then it seems to me I can also listen to their opinions on what is needed. Plus I tend to trust folks who will say something that will result in a customer spending less.

I went with the 5 watt unit which will for sure get me well above the level 1 killing range but leave me equally short of level 2. If I run that unit at 100 gph (20 gph/watt), I will be turning the water over about 4 times an hour which is what is suggested for level 2.

Also, lets not forget that I now have the benefit of getting acid loving bacteria to jump start a cycle in as low a pH as I want. I am no longer constrained by a lower limit of 6.0. If I start out lower, that should hopefully lower the risk level.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:46 pm 
Administrator

Hi Chris. Yeh, I am aware of where the quotes are from. Just that in my opinion, the author is making a very generalized comparison without considering specifics. He compares a Marine Reef Aquarium to "Just a fish and plant" freshwater setup. And it's not that I mind his expressing himself that way, I mean, we can't compare the bioload of a reef tank and D.O. level these require with a conventional FW setup. But then, can P. altum successfully thrive in a conventional FW setup. And I am not saying "survive", I am saying, "thrive".
Your a man who enjoys equations and numbers and that's a great advantage. I admire your sense of penciling things sharply and in detail so please get me right, I see nothing wrong with your approach.
But for those people who don't have those talents... I would tell them... Play it on the safe side... a little more is better and a lot more is not at all bad, especially if they can afford it. Myself...I'm worried about my energy bill... so I should pay more attention to your numbers than anybody else.

One other thing... some UV users may want to keep their UV units on timers that allow UV radiation for a certain number of hours a day. I use mine 12X7 providing Level 2 +, I believe most tables use 24/7. Though I see no problem doing 24/7.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:30 am 

Everything was going so smoothly. Until I discovered that Home Depot no longer has that sand :(