Re: wild altum underwater camera footage rio inirida

Andries wrote:got this link from a fellow hobbiest from the Netherlands who made several visits to colombia
this footage was taken with an underwater camera in a creek near rio inirida not super quality but nice to watch anyway

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9FiVcq ... edit?pli=1
Hi Andy, and I too would like to thank you for sharing this video. It is very nice.

I'd like to point out that this is exactly a good example of the smaller streams that flow down through the forest in where we see a lot of branches and roots coming out of the sand banks...notice the relatively dense canopy at the end of the video... younger altum prefer these streams or "caños" as they are called in Spanish. Notice it is very similar to the biotope tank you created.
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.

Very nice video. I would like to add here that this actual footage corresponds to a "flooded forest" biotope, or said, an area which is above the average level of the river during most of the year and come about this time of year (May) comes to be below the water line. Note the live leaves of trees and thick layer of dead vegetation (dark cover over the substrate). This is where all the goodies are for the adult fish to ripen up and start breeding. And Phil, thanks a mil as always .
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.

Phill Austen wrote:Is it just my perception, or do you think that these lovely wild fish carry less body mass than the captive raised examples?
I wonder if the analogy of a Kenyan tribesman would work? That is, who has more mass? the man running after a gazzelle for three days and bringing it back home on his back... or his cousin who made the team and is preparing for the Olympics?

Your perception is just how it is... these fellas in the video are not staring out the glass waiting for the yummies... they are chasing quick little fish, which in turn are swimming for their life. Not to mention the current, which is usually no slow churning discus haven. They are always slick when compared to our spoiled pets.
E.R.