It is currently Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:30 pm 

Putting this out to the community - with our forthcoming Angelfish edition, Amazonas Editor James Lawrence asked me if I knew where (and when) the term "Angelfish" was actually applied to Pterophyllum. Anyone here happen to know the answer?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:52 am 
Website Development

mpedersen wrote:
Putting this out to the community - with our forthcoming Angelfish edition, Amazonas Editor James Lawrence asked me if I knew where (and when) the term "Angelfish" was actually applied to Pterophyllum. Anyone here happen to know the answer?

I'll take a crack at it.

Ptero is a latin word meaning wings. Altum means height, deep, or deep water.

I guess that Angelfish might be a name developed to more easily market the fish.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:13 am 
Administrator

"Pterophyllum" means "winged or feathered family" and yes, it refers to the high and long dorsal and anal fins common to all the species within the genus. Therefore we have that the feather wings related to our conception of angels, so we have "angelfish"

"Altum" means High, Tall or Growing (Latin "altus", Spanish "alto", Italian "alto") referring to the higher depth in proportions (in relation to length) proper of this species.

"Scalare" means "to climb, or climbing", referring to the form in which the dorsal spines and rays climb from front to back, in the manner of a climbing ladder.

"Leopoldi" for King Leopold III of Belgium who collected the first known specimens.

Hope this helps.

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:21 am 
Administrator

In Spanish, we generally refer to all "angelfish" as simply "escalar" from (scalare).
In Venezuela we distinguish the altum as "escalar altum" (Germans say "altum skalare"). In Venezuela this is the only natural species of Pterophyllum that we have.
In Colombia, we naturally have both species and they are referred to as "escalar" (P. scalare) and "escalar altum" or simply "altum", for P.altum.
Ed