It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:46 pm

Post subject: barcode scanning DNA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:28 pm 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200 ... abarcoding

Post subject: re: barcode scanning DNA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:05 pm 

i'm waiting for the hand held scanner rather than do a core drill on my fish.

http://www.theothernews.com/article.asp ... ticle=1321

http://www.barcodinglife.com/views/login.php

The Altum Breeders' Club has an account opened at Bold.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:24 pm 

this stuff is amazing. check out the tutorials.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:00 am 

Hi Dave,

it´s very great, till I red no all, but so from beginning of it I´m very enthusiastically. :)
Price for one test if I understand good is very very cheap. If yes, I´m SCREAMIN´ HOORAY!!! :D
Latter question from me is, how much it will be cost - I think machines for test and others things about it. By us have "old" system for analyzing DNA only one or two biological institutes and if our politicians have enough money for their toys, for science no! Only one chance is, if bio inst. get any grant from EU. :cry:

Jan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:26 am 

Jan, our cost seems to less than $10 per sample. We don't have the DNA scanners yet. a few more years...
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:39 pm 
Administrator

Hi Dave, and so, I decided to look up your links.

Actually, the process of converting a specific DNA profile (the specific data of a DNA stran) into a barcode is not new.

As I had previously PM'd you, the way the national kennel clubs here in the U.S. (AKC and UKC) do it is that they have you collect a DNA sample on a swab (from the inner cheek mucous of your dog's mouth) and send it in to them, then they forward it to a certified DNA profiling lab.

I found the link of the lab that does the work for these kennel clubs. It's a nice read for this matter and can help us better understand the news article.

http://www.metamorphixinc.com/products2b.html

As to a barcode being made available to the public for this purpose, the Yahoo news article seems to skip certain explanations. First we'll have to come up either with a microchip containing the data we wish to read and/or a sample based barcode reader which would imply an invasive procedure even if minimal (maybe an insulin monitor pinch type).

Today we have microchips in dogs and many other animals and they read barcodes containing basic ownership info and other data pertinent to biological aspects (as in wildlife species conservation follow up programs). The information contained in these microchips is not really at all extensive.

For this type of barcode reader to work, it needs to be able to retrieve the data either directly from a printed or tatooed bar code or from an electronic transmitting device such as a microchip or other type of transmitter.

Once the DNA profile is converted to a barcode I really do not know if the present day transmitters would have memory (Mb/Gb) limitations (I might suppose so), but if not, today's barcode readers or scanner should do the job.

As to the costs, 10 bucks sounds reasonable, 15 years ago I would pay around $40 for a DNA certified pedigree. The fee for a studbook based (genealogical records based, that is) normal pedigree ran for about 25 bucks, so I was being charged maybe $15 extra for the DNA profiling.

So the principle behind the science is the same, now in the case of distinguishing one species from another, my logic tells me it would be much simpler than differentiating one individual within a species from others of different geneaology (which is what we do today in purebred dogs, horses and some other livestock).

Do I make sense?

Ed

Ed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:11 am 

Ed, to my understanding the title they gave the system is misleading if you think of a coat at WalMart with a tag attached going through the payout scanner, or a chip-based tagging system for return of lost pet, or for pedigree.

Think GPS system. But as well as location, it detects DNA info, relays info. to the bank, and a relationship to other known species is defined, and so on.

So that is what the goal is for the future, from what I understand.

As to our present day sampling technique, it would entail sampling of the fish, not insertion of a chip. After we know the fish is altum ( and by this I mean we have had a number of samplings using our altum or , let' say, our importers do some sampling , then we are reasonably sure.

I wouldn't be looking to verify my own fish, rather I'd rely on a sampling of what we get shipped to us. If they are all turning out to be one species, then we have some Orinoco angel DNA.

We could safely assume for now that not all Orinoco altum are coming from the so called "pure", Atabapo area populations, right ?

Next, if we look at the method: already the system provides information that has shown a difference amongst samples, splitting what was known as a single species into several...it provides a finer degree of differentiation than previous sampling and testing procedures have been providing.

For relationships such as bloodline, I would think that you are correct, and that a slightly different test would be applied through the same technology.
Perhaps a different fragment would be examined. Maybe it would be a different comparison of the same DNA fragment as is used for the present species test.

D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:46 am 

maybe 66 can clarify any mistakes so far !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:18 pm 
Administrator

You're on the right track in everything... and yes, the article is very simplistic... the guy who wrote it was probably a sports column writer.

Ed