It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:39 am

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:49 am 
Founder

Hi everyone, since I am working on updating Finarama, I dug out everything I had on the subject. I forgot that Dr. Schindler & Dr. Paepke Reviewed the Genus in 2003. I found this in 2004 and had requested a copy from Dr. Schindler. He was very kind and sent it to me. However, this review is written in German (with the exception of the summary) and I could not read it. Shortly thereafter, I had gone back to work and this review was filed away. Eventually, I had forgot I even had it. I am so sorry.

This review is 14 pages long and I have spent the last week using the OCR to scan the pages into .rtf format. Then I had to proofread every word to make sure the characters were correct to attempt a google translation. The translation appears to be about 95% correct. I will attempt to get a 100% true translation of the review. I do not have permission to publish the review online yet. I am currently awaiting a response.

In the meantime, I will quote the summary but first some definitions:
.cf = compare to
sensu lato = in the broad sense
sensu stricto = in the strict sense (This term is not used in the entire review)

Quote (exactly as written):

Summary: Variation in body depth and body form (trunk and tail without caudal peduncle) of Pterophyllum scalare, a cichlid fish with widespread distribution in the Amazon and Essequibo tributaries, are investigated using uni-, bi- and multivariate statistical methods. Pterophyllum scalare sensu lato covers a wide range in several measurements of trunk form. Within P scalare there are two recognizable groups,one (FLACH) with a relatively flat body and (HOCH) with a more high body on average. However, both groups overlap in principal component analysis and canonical diskrimant analysis. Specimens of Pterophyllum eimekei (EIM) show the lowest body depth and a rounder body shape than any other P. scalare sensu lato. EIM is significantly (p <.05) different regarding the body depth (body depth at anal fin origin <75% of SL vs. >78% of SL in other P scalare and P altum) and the length of dorsal-fin base. Therefore it is denoted as P. scalare forma eimekei. Pterophyllum altum and P cf. scalare "Peru" are not separable in body depth from P. scalare sensu lato. Nevertheless, P altum represents a valid species, characterized by the bar pattern and higher number of scales in the longitudinal series, while P. cf. scalare "Peru" is considered to be a member of P scalare sensu lato. The result emphasizes a need for further studies on the geographical variation of other character complexes of P scalare to check the suggested differentiation within P scalare sensu lato and between P scalare and P scalare forma eimekei.

Last edited by admin on Sun May 16, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:11 pm 

Yes, H.-J.Paepke write about their work also in last 4. issue of his monograph from 2003 year ( http://www.finarama.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1002 ). I was used also these information, if I wrote AAA monograph.

Jan

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:00 pm 
Founder

Hello Jan,

I just ordered all 4 volumes of Paepke's work. Do you have the original full review by Kullander? I've discovered that google translates Czech very well, therefore I can read your book. It will be time consuming but well worth it I'm sure. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:28 pm 

Yes, I have original Kullander´s work (it´s in English). About Paepke/Schindler work is all constituent write in up said Paepke´s last issue very good.

Jan