It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:21 am 

Seems Brazil's corrupt government has permitted the removal of thousands of wild zebra plecos.

Extinction by hobbyists before extinction by dam project..nothing like taking matters into your own hands, eh ?

Hungry hungry hobbyists are snapping them up in a last orgy, giving importers the answer "Yes, Yes, more more more ! Bring in another batch before they run out ! BTW Can you get me some nice Brie with the next order ?"

Some importers are claiming that their zebras are F1. Maybe, but some other importers seem glad to make a buck on the wilds and don't try to cover their involvement ...they can get double the amount for a wild, anyway.

To me, this savaging of the wild population seems a preparatory move by Brazil, to clean out stocks of valuable critters and make a buck before the dam project wastes all of that bribery $ potential .

We can always pretend it is a flood of adult zebra coming from a mysterious Oriental hormone induction breeding project

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:48 pm 
Global Moderator

Once the Hypancistrus are out of Brazil they are no longer considered contraband in North America. A few read the USA's Lacey Act as proscribing their import but people I know who import them have been told by every relevant USA agency they have no tools to forbid the import of H. zebra and they are legal to import. Brazil may have banned fishing and exporting them but they are not classified as endangered species by Brazil. if they were then the Lacey Act would kick in. Genocide by Civil Engineering is very different from fishing a species to the brink of extinction.

I believe under the circumstances that since the main importers sell minimum sized groups and not single fish the majority are being bought by those who intend to breed them. Having a broad and genetically diverse populations will prevent excessive inbreeding and they will be preserved by breeders even if they ultimately become extinct in Brazil.
Of course, I would prefer these and many of the other unique Xingu fish species were not threatened by the construction of the Belo Monte hydroelectric project.
I bought 10 wild specimens 2 years ago but about 10 months later I had a mechanical failure which caused them all to die. It was the single most expensive setback I have ever experienced in nearly 5 decades of fish keeping and breeding I intend to buy 16 more and begin my breeding program over.

I do not have any ethical issues over breeding fish smuggled out of their native country which have could easily set up a species preservation program and one which might benefit some of the fisherman who will no longer be able to collect and sell many Xingu species but has chosen not to. I think it is the best thing we can do under these circumstances.
I do not have any ethical conflict in accepting wild specimens to breed.

I do not believe in allowing these fish to be sold in singles as simply status symbols as those who merely collect single specimens will contribute nothing to their continued survival. That is why all my species of plecos I breed are only available in minimum lots of 6 per species. This eliminates mere collectors and encourages the hopefuls who would be breeders to buy them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:08 am 

If their own country can't even sort something out for their future survival, what chance have those poor Zebs got if hobbyists don't step in and try to get them breeding?!
I would have no sleepless nights about buying a group of wild caught fish (so right about not buying in singles) if i had a chance to do something with them, these little fish need help!
It does make me wonder though if there would be so much fuss if these Plecs were just a dull plain brown colour with no markings?!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:43 am 

chiligum wrote:
If their own country can't even sort something out for their future survival, what chance have those poor Zebs got if hobbyists don't step in and try to get them breeding?!
I would have no sleepless nights about buying a group of wild caught fish (so right about not buying in singles) if i had a chance to do something with them, these little fish need help!
It does make me wonder though if there would be so much fuss if these Plecs were just a dull plain brown colour with no markings?!
Hi Chiligum. If it weren't for the fact that hobbyists are already producing lots of zebras...that would be a strong consideration

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:59 am 
Global Moderator

A few years ago I had the opportunity to buy 10 wild H. zebra and it did not bother me in the least.

Unfortunately they seem to have a problem with eating too much beef heart. They love it but it does not seem to agree with them. These plecos often develop a fatal bloat when they are eating beef heart frequently as mine were at the time because I kept them with a pair of wild Alenquer Discus.
In just one night all mine died of the bloat.
It was such a blow that I will never spend that much on any h. zebra again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:29 am 

Hi all, although zebras do tend to like the more meaty foods,they must also have some veggies in thier diet, all protein and no fibre/veggies leads to bloat.
I also believe that Zebras are to be added to the CITES list very shortly.
Al

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:12 pm 

I'm really considering getting some some Zebs for my Altums but as Larry has said, it's such a gamble when it's so much money involved that i'll be terrified if something happened to them!
I was worried about buying my 6 little Altums after reading about all the disasters that happens with them but now i have had them for a few months, they are just everyday fish to me, i'm not so sure if i would feel the same when the outlay is even more though!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:57 pm 

There is a breeder group on aquabid right now...not for the faint of heart lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:33 pm 

I watched a supposedly breeding trio finish on ebay the other day.
£670 in the end, that's well over US$1000, crazy money!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:31 pm 
Global Moderator

My preferred source for wild H. zebra is: http://www.unungy.com/shipping.
He only ships well acclimated specimens when he can get them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 pm 
Administrator

alsbeth wrote:
Hi all, although zebras do tend to like the more meaty foods,they must also have some veggies in thier diet, all protein and no fibre/veggies leads to bloat.
I also believe that Zebras are to be added to the CITES list very shortly.
Al

If they add zebras to the CITES list how is that going to affect the buy,sale,trade and possession in the USA? I recently invested in a group of 8 with hopes to breed them in 2-3 years.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:28 am 

Quote:
If they add zebras to the CITES list how is that going to affect the buy,sale,trade and possession in the USA? I recently invested in a group of 8 with hopes to breed them in 2-3 years.

Not sure how it works but if added to CITES anybody caught exporting or importing them after being put on CITES will be in big trouble, large fines ,shut down etc.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:54 am 
Global Moderator

If H/. zebra are listed under CITES treaty then all new fish will be obtained illegally.
We are not there yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:54 am 
Global Moderator

apistomaster wrote:
If H. zebra are listed under CITES treaty then all new fish will be obtained illegally.
We are not there yet.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:52 pm 

L260 are on the export list again from Belem. I have a feeling it won't be long before the Zebras are hitting the lists as well. Just a feeling. Have no evidence to base that on.

I can get the L260 but the price is up there. The L333 is also on the list. I wonder if it's because they are getting ready to put in that damn.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in.