It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:37 am 
Website Development

Today I had the odd question appear in my head, what are the affects of caffeine emanating from Rooibos tea on Altum Angelfish & other dither fish? I know that the tea is commonly used for blackwater treatments.

Does anyone know?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:23 pm 

None, since there is no caffine in rooibos. It is not a tea actually, it is in the legume family.

There is lots of good info re rooibos here http://www.finarama.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2573&p=28835#p28835

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:44 pm 
Administrator

Hi Eric,
I use roiboos on my altum quite heavily at times and if anything, it is relaxing. I ran out of catappa, which is my preferred choice to make blackwater extract along with peat, but I no longer have any free sources of catappa, and rooibos is pretty cost efficient.
Like Chris points out, there is no caffeine is rooibos.
Dirk has done a lot of research on rooibos and fish experimentation with this plant... he is in South Africa and actually lives quite close to the location where rooibos is endemic to. He is actually one of the people who first introduced rooibos to the aquarium fancy.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 pm 
Administrator

I emailed Dirk to invite him to look at this thread. Got an automatic reply letting us know he's out on a research trip to in a remote area of the Botswana and Namibia border. No internet or communication in the area. He'll be back after July 22nd.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:08 am 
Scientific Research Administator

Hi Everyone,

Yes, I am back from the bush, with interesting tales to tell....

Eric, Ed has it dead right, Rooibos contains no caffeine whatsoever, which is precisely why it is sold in health shops. It has a stress relieving effect on humans, which colleagues in my department have now actually shown scientifically. The plant was identified for having these properties by the first inhabitants of this area, the San Bushmen. These people were amazing in their observation and use of plants as aids in their existence. Other plants that are now used in the USA are Hoodia from appetite depression as a treatment of obesity, which they used during their hunting trips against hunger. Other plants they used were Salsola which was used as a contraceptive, and honey bush, which is another tea, which has natural phytoestrogens which can be used against menopausal symptoms and breast cancer.

Ed, although I may have told you about rooibos, my good friend and former student, Tyrone Genade, who is now an assistant professor in the USA, was one of the first proponents of the use of rooibos in aquaria.

Bottom line is rooibos is ideal for use with fishes that require soft water and peat extracts, and there are no negative components in the tea, both for fish and humans.

Kind regards,

Dirk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:18 pm 
Administrator

And we need to thank Chris also for his first hand reply to Eric...concerning the caffeine. I remember Chris purchased a big amount (or that was his plan) of rooibos, or was it catappa, so I imagine he has gained his own experience with it.
Thanks again Dirk, always so illustrative....

Ok, tell us what that Alpha Ape did to you?

Ed