It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dancing and attacking??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:58 am 

Hi everyone,

I just recently introduce 3 more altum into my tank after 1 died because stuck at the pump. Oldest fish around 4 years while others 3 years. I have total of 4 now. Previously i bought an RO machine which i planned to use to keep altum. I few months never check water parameters after my altum died,light faulty also no mood to repair, this week just introduce 3 new altum.

I planned to change water use RO, start from next week coz i got them new tank mate already and repair the faulty light. The problem now is after few days, 2 of the 4 altum keep dancing. 1 of them while dancing attack anyone nearby but not attacking the nearest one that is dancing together. Sometimes the mouth will be like kiss each other with the one that dancing together. Only one of the dancing fish do the attacking while another one just keep dancing, both have the very dark ears appear behind the eyes.

I read in finarama before, water change will lead to more aggression. So my question is, if i change water but dont want to separate the others if they fight, will they die? I only got one aquarium for my altum measuring 48 X 24 X 30 ( 12mm glass ). I dont want to see anymore dead altum either....

I will post a video use my i phone if the dancing still continue in 2 more days for better understanding on the fish condition....

Regards,
John

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:18 pm 

Here the videos as promised. Now they took up the center area of my aquarium and beat everyone that appear near them. My another 2 altum become nowhere to be seen as both went hiding. Any suggestion???

http://youtu.be/0MUFyJ_c2L4

I personally think they paired up. How about others opinion?

Do i disturb them by isolate others or let them be better? I dont have another setup like this already. Too bad my aquarium only 48 X 24 X 30....if it is 72 X 24 X 30 maybe i no need to worry also....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:49 pm 
Registration Administrator

Looks like normal adult Altum behaviour to me. when you mix fish the pecking order is immediately changed and they have to establish a new order. I suspect that the level of pushing and shoving that the tank occupants engage in, is related to the ballance of sexes present. The behaviour that I have interpreted as pairing, was two fish taking possession of one end of the tank, and displaying to each other by circling each other for long periods with some gripping of each other's mouths and wrestling. You have some very beautiful adult fish.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:24 pm 

Phill Austen wrote:
Looks like normal adult Altum behaviour to me. when you mix fish the pecking order is immediately changed and they have to establish a new order. I suspect that the level of pushing and shoving that the tank occupants engage in, is related to the ballance of sexes present. The behaviour that I have interpreted as pairing, was two fish taking possession of one end of the tank, and displaying to each other by circling each other for long periods with some gripping of each other's mouths and wrestling. You have some very beautiful adult fish.

Previously the circle happened but I missed the recording....the two seen in video previously dancing and circle each other. Anything pass nearby disturb their dance, the dominance one will attack others while another keep dancing. Got some mouth locking also few days ago. I missed to video them. Now both no dancing but both attack anything seen in their territory. They took control of the center biggest wood.

If they really pair up, will they always dance together? Or dance one time pair already no more dance, and start protecting terittory together?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:57 am 

Hi Phill,

Here is some update,

this time i recorded something different by luck, they clean wood together. Good sign?

http://youtu.be/WU_KB7ENtyA

Regards,
John