It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:39 am 

I have 6 newly aquired Altums (1st time with this species) and i'm getting a new tank in a couple of weeks which will have a painted back glass.
Which colour would bring the stripes/markings out in them best?
I've kept Discus for years and know that they like a light background to bring the colours out but i'm thinking the opposite for Altums, am i right?!
Let me know of any personal experiences with this please, thanks, Mark.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm 

im no expert,but black has always worked best for me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:31 am 
Administrator

I second KGF. Black is the color. When we grow baby altums, keeping them in a black backed black bottom tank, helps them not to develop broken bars. This is a first hand fact, I did this last year with a bunch of Mike's babies and not a single one had broken bars. In the darker environment (all other parameters in good standing), the fish feel at ease, and show better colors. Light can be on the dimmer side, not too bright.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:49 am 

HI
My tank bred young altums from Germany are in a planted tank (valisnaria with the ) front 6 inches blocked off from the back by flat rocks. Therefore the back is planted and the front is bare (shiny ) glass. THis substrate system works very well for cleaning if you always feed over the bare area...and you get the plants.
I presume ,though, that the base glass should have been painted black. There is a planted tank picture background.

My question would be: Is it true, as I would believe, that at 5 to 6 inches tall now,it is too late to affect the bars with exterior factors?. When I bought mine ,it was mentioned, in passing, that "of 1000 tank raised altums from Germany, some would have bar failings." THis should have been translated to "when I sell you 6 altums from Germany , 3 or 4 will have bar imperfections. " The bar imperfections actually seemed to have improved over the momth or so I have had them ( but not to correctness) and can be very slight or even only on one side with the other side fine. THere will be a slight indentation of the middle bar right underneath the pectoral fin..all the way to a tiny gap.Certainly the bars are ,essentially, all there..not like earlier tank bred fish
Might I have improved it or was that about it when I got them?

By the way,imperfections or not,they are beauties and as far as a tank with nice altums in it goes ( together with my best wild altums later ) they are going to look real good. They are ,when compared to my wilds or my uraru fernandezipezi, a piece of cake to keep...though they are small still and do not make that bioload that the big one do.
Al

PS I will still want some from MIke.... if i can ever track him down. THis would be to assemble a very nice group and if any of the three initial groups were to pair off..all the better

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:26 pm 
Administrator

Hi Al, (not quoting you word for word - but trying to) if it is true that "among 1000 German bred imports" we would get some with broken bars, to say that out of 6, half would have broken bars, is something that we would need to dig into a bit further.

I remember you wrote about the Seigrest bloodline fish, and also about the Forkel fish, and that you got them from Dave Labell if I am correct. There are several breeders in Germany and surrounding European countries working with different generations of Linke/Seigrest/Forkel, as well as in Asia, they all show more accentuated barring issues that Simon's.

Simon (Forkel) has done a very good job minimizing this kind of issues (bars) in a major way. So I can tell you that if it is true that some of his fish, can show some degree of atypical barring, I would say they are very few, in comparison to other breeders.

If you see improvement, keep doing what you are doing.

Have you tried PMing Mike?

Ed