It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:54 pm 

Hi everyone,

I would like to understand more about angelfish behavior. I get hold of 2 santa Isabel recently. I only keep 2 angel in one tank. They flare and bite each other but no fins tear off during chasing. Both the fish eye got red ruby color during fight but not injuries. The male is like guarding a territory and chase the other one until he/she hiding behind the wood. Once he/she hiding in this area the male stop chasing even he can continue to chase. So they see other in the cave without further fight. If he/she come out the male will it into the cave again. After few days of fighting they stop and move together like the territory disappeared. I thought they pair up so I put a cement for them. After I put the cement within 5 minutes the he/she bite the male n they repeat the chasing and trapping behavior. The male now start to have the shivering behavior also like a near spawning discus male.

The behavior of territory guarding.
The behavior of shivering for male.
The behavior of female trapping.

The above 3 is the behavior I curious to know especially the trapping.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:28 pm 
Administrator

By trapping I understand that the A fish does not allow the B fish to get away, trying to keep int near its proposed (by A's) spawning site.

Definitely does not sound like a same sex fight.

How are your water parameters (pH, TDS and T) and what are you feeding them?

Ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:52 pm 

I feed pellets and freeze blood worm although I got change some water everyday. About the water parameters I afraid I really cannot answer u. I am new to angel fish and I seldom test water for my fish although I planned to get some tester in this few days. I only know I got put peat to soften the water and my aq water like black river color.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:52 pm 
Administrator

The fact that by using peat only your water turns dark tells you you have quite soft water, most likely on the acid side.
Working with wilds it is important that you get a good freshwater analyses kit to measure pH, hardness, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
Make sure you T is in the mid to high 80´s, which should not be a problem for you even with an underrated heater during cooler nights.
By your previous description your fish are very happy, so your "basic and simple" approach is working. But when you know your water parameters, you can fine tune your tank to get the best out of your fish.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:55 pm 
Administrator

The more variety in the diet, the better, and give them green stuff (spirulina flakes), Hikari spirulina enhanced frozen brine shrimp are a good thing to add into your diet but keep up what you are already giving them.
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 am 

I am so regret that I disturb them. Now they chase the other fish again. Don't know when will stop fighting pattern.