It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:26 pm 

Calling all altumiacs!

Despite some lingering uncertainty I've decided my newly acquired angels are indeed Pt. altum. From observations of my own fish -altums, peruvians & domestic blacklace, and viewing some youtube videos there seems to be quite a marked difference in threat behaviour between scalare (including Peruvians sp?) and altum. Altum do not seem to use the discreet lateral headshake that is so typical of scalare. On head to head contact they do spread their ventrals but I've seen no sign of headshaking in this context. Nor have I seen them jerk the anal & dorsal fins forward which scalare usually does in coordination with the headshake. I have seen one instance of headshaking in my altums but it wasn't in a frontal confrontation-I'm not at all sure what was going on at the time. I mention it because instead of a single, or a series of, separate headshakes this fish gave a bout of 4-6 shakes in rhythm-wish I had a video. Can other comment on my observations one way or the other?

Dennis

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 am 
Registration Administrator

They definately head shake Dennis, keep putting the livefood in them and you will see them squaring up to each other and headshaking along with pushing each other in the throat.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 11:52 am 

Thanks Phill,

I guess mine haven't reached that level of aggressiveness. Have you ever seen that "multiple shake with no discernable pause? It reminds me a bit of prespawning "quivering" in other cichlids- including relatives Mesonauta & Heros but which appears to be non-existent in Pt. or discus. I see quite a bit of that "gentle mouthings to the throat" between pairs of Peruvians.

Dennis