It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:01 pm 
Administrator

So you think high D.O. might have an influence on their behavior? Interesting? Mine are just as rowdy or more than yours. I run a 36W 24/7 and an Eheim 2260 on a 150G. The filtration is such that I barely ever need to siphon the tank. What the fish do not eat will work it's way onto the intake pre-filter within hours and from there, either the pleco, the heckels or the bacteria finish up any food residue. 11 medium to medium/large altum, two adult heckel and one adult L128 provide a rather low bioload for 150G and a 2260 plus the 36W UV. The spray bar provides a moderate turbulence. D.O. should be good (not measured). And like I said, they are badasses. And showing a bit of red in those eyes the last couple fo weeks
Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:11 am 
Administrator

I've been meaning to take a new video but since I haven't got around to it I thought I would post my latest one. I know the tank could use some wood. I had mopani in there I just really didn't care for it. I wanted manzanita and ordered some great pieces from aquabid but he never shipped them. :( You can see the entire aquarium at 1:31. They are very light in the video because I spooked them by turning all the other fish lights in the room off for filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQgze6lFquc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:15 am 
Administrator

Ed, how old is your group of 11?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:10 pm 
Administrator

Just turning 24m... might get them a birthday cake shaped like a cardinal tetra... my son will blow out the candles and digest it for them!

Some have a typical size for the age, but a few are rather stunted.

I've been trying to make a new video and take pics...but I stink at it.

Anyhow, I guess I will have to just suck it up and post them. Give me a few days.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:18 pm 
Administrator

Is that a frozen mix you feed them...I see something else than just BW in there. I sometimes mix frozen BW, glassworm (white mosquito larvae) and BS. I'm also giving them BSD Beef Heart Flake, live blackworm, FD bloodworm. I should have fruit flies soon...days still a tad chilly here in SLC.

Thinking of scooping up some live brine tomorrow...it'd be the first time I give them live brine shrimp straight from the lake.

We're also supposed to have a species of freshwater fairy shrimp here in the valley...but I haven't located the right ponds yet.

Ed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:56 pm 
Administrator

When you get around to it I would love to see a video. Maybe a video of you collecting the live brine as well. I find that type of thing interesting. How lucky you are to be able to get live brine right from the lake!!! Occasionally I'll get them live brine as a treat. They eat mainly New Life Spectrum flake and the bloodworm/brineshrimp frozen mix which I add Boyd's Vita-chem to 5 or 6 times a week. When they were younger I would give them platy fry as a treat. When I attempt to breed them I would like to culture mosquito larvae. I'm still trying to figure out if I can do that legally here. Are the fruit flies you are talking about easy to culture? What variety are they? Any input as to how I can improve their diet would be greatly appreciated. I have a couple of questions about water chemistry as well... Where do you like to have the pH? Do you use acid/peat or both to accomplish this. How low should I go on TDS? I have never used peat or acid so I am going to need help here. I would like to bring out the RED color in the fish. I have a cousin who is a spokesman for fish and wildlife up there. I'll have to ask him about the fairy shrimp. He is a BIG time hunting fanatic.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:59 am 
Administrator

Hi G, I copied your post and I will reply in it.
"When you get around to it I would love to see a video. Maybe a video of you collecting the live brine as well. I find that type of thing interesting.
[b]Good idea![/b]
How lucky you are to be able to get live brine right from the lake!!!
[b]Though it's still on the cold side up here in the Rockies.[/b]
Occasionally I'll get them live brine as a treat. They eat mainly New Life Spectrum flake and the bloodworm/brineshrimp frozen mix which I add Boyd's Vita-chem to 5 or 6 times a week. When they were younger I would give them platy fry as a treat. When I attempt to breed them I would like to culture mosquito larvae. I'm still trying to figure out if I can do that legally here. [b]It is a hassle to culture mosquito larvae..but you can get limited amounts in spring/summer just by placing several 5 gallon buckets with water and banana skins in it...ignore the buckets...just keep em' out of the neighbors sight. Take a look inside 3 weeks later and you'll be happy.[/b]
Are the fruit flies you are talking about easy to culture? What variety are they?
Look for D. hydei. You can buy a culture on Ebay or there are other good sources online. These are nice and large (almost 5mm long) and cannot fly. What you basically need is a clear glass container which you can fit any mesh cover over (an old panty hose toe section, i.e.). Clean it well with hot water, sterilize it as best you can. You make a culture media (http://www.anapsid.org/fruitfly.html). To keep the culture going, simply prepare a new jar/media every 3-4 weeks and put flies from your previous culture in to seed the new one. Add a little v&m powder to the culture to gutload them.

Any input as to how I can improve their diet would be greatly appreciated. I have a couple of questions about water chemistry as well... Where do you like to have the pH?
[b]4.5 - 5.5[/b]
Do you use acid/peat or both to accomplish this. How low should I go on TDS?[b] I do 50-90ppm.[/b]I have never used peat or acid so I am going to need help here.
[b]I use peat and catappa leaf as well as muriatic acid (HCl)..also use Kent Black Water Expert or Tetra Blackwater Extract when I run out of catappa leaf. I use pure r/o (about 10 ppm TDS after mixing with aquarium substrate solids dissolved in water column). I add some trace minerals (RO Vital or Seachem Replenisher) until about 40-50ppm. Then add the peat and catappa, usually hang it in a mesh bag until water is the tint I want it, dark enough, but I can see fish clearly. I measure the pH and add just enough HCl to lower the pH to about 4.0, it will bounce back up a bit. [/b]
I would like to bring out the RED color in the fish.
The red will develop...just keep on feeding them the best you can, and keeping the best water quality you can.
I have a cousin who is a spokesman for fish and wildlife up there. I'll have to ask him about the fairy shrimp. He is a BIG time hunting fanatic."

Utahns have a strange love for hunting I don't share.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 am 
Administrator

It'd be good to pinpoint some accessible fairy shrimp ponds.... there are some close to my home according to what I have investigated... but I do not know how to access them as they seem to be off limits unless you work for some government authority or something...due to where they are...surrounded by heavy traffic roadways (highways) and airport runaways...no place to park your car close by.

Ed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:31 am 
Administrator

Utahns have a strange love for hunting I don't share. [/quote]

Me either but the guy knows the woods.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:23 am 
Administrator

Oh yeh. These hunters have admirabale qualities to live out in these cold highlands and I really can't criticize them because I just don't understand them. It's the same as fishing I guess and I don't mind fishing as long as the fish ends up on my plate. I would never hook a fish, damaging its mouth to throw it back in the water. I hook a fish to cook it and eat it.
Here in Utah there is a culture of hunting, probably one of the most developed in the world, at least from the tech POV... we have a bunch of public and private museums with huge taxidermy collections of hunted trophies. We have Cabela's headquarters which is really worth visiting and there is Brasher's Auto Auction, to name just two...where they have beautiful collections that serve the public and school kids a great learning experience.
Then, to aim, pull a trigger and see an elk or a deer come down... that's where my brain stops.
My stomach will certainly revive me when the elk or deer is on my plate with some cole slaw and corn on the cob.

Oh...and the honey baked beans.

Regards
Ed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:48 pm 

Hi Michelle,

Just want to say your videos of behavior in altums was very interesting. I have never before seen the "angling away" posture adopted by your fish especially in the last video. I raised the issue of attacking angels adopting a near horizontal posture. This behavior seems likely a submissive behavior judging from the context. It reminds me of a similar response shown by Uaru in a video submitted by Richard Longley, and a more ritualized an extreme form in chocolate gouramis. Adopting a "head up" position is a well known submissive response in cichlids and other social fishes. I've never seen any mention of this posture in any cichlid ethology work or in my own angels. For me it emphasizes the complex and variable nature of behavior in this group of fishes. Another example is the rare but significant reports of aucoustic signalling in angels.

Thanks for posting.

Dennis