Bio in tank filter

I wanted to make a bio filter using a soda bottle, air, and some sort of media. I used suction cups attached to the bottle to hold it in place. Rubber bands were used to hold the airline in place. ( the rubber bands seem to rot very easily) Looking around I found at "The Dollar Tree" store small hair rollers that had a plastic covering with what looks like round tipped fingers. I pulled the cover off the roller and cut them into small sections.

The fingers stuck to each other not allowing for circulation of the sections. I turned all the sections inside out. This worked and I had a working bio filter.

I wanted more surface for filtration so I again pulled all the media out, cut many more up turning them inside out. Some of these I put inside one another sometimes putting three together. They look like little bio spears. The picture does not show the finished media very well.

Re: Bio in tank filter

The advantage would be not needing to clean the media as it cleans itself from the movement and interaction with each other. I was trying to come up with a cheap replacement for K1 bio-media.

I have made my own sponge filters since I built my hatchery several years ago. They work very well as we know.

Hay who doesn't like seeing a pink flowing mass of cut up hair curlers! :P

Re: Bio in tank filter

DLFL wrote:The advantage would be not needing to clean the media as it cleans itself from the movement and interaction with each other. I was trying to come up with a cheap replacement for K1 bio-media.

I have made my own sponge filters since I built my hatchery several years ago. They work very well as we know.

Hay who doesn't like seeing a pink flowing mass of cut up hair curlers! :P
Do they have em' in green?
God listens. He may not always give you everything you want, when you want it; but he always gives you what you really need, when you need it most!
E.R.