It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Altum 225 tank build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:24 pm 

I'v e got a couple comments on my 225 tank and thought I would throw something togeather to show how we have got to this point.

It started off wife my wife wanting to move us in to m daughters room to give them a bigger living space. What this meant was that the built-in 90 gal tank was going to have to go. I would only budge if I could upgrade, there was no fight and I should have seen this as a problem in the future. It was but that is not what this is about. We deciced that our shoe tank would go in the back of our living room and this would mean some major floor renforcement.

This is the new floor support header and our old crawl space dug out and added to the basement. Yes that entire area was filled with sand and the hole was not in the wall.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:43 pm 

Now that the floor was supported it was time to work on the tank. After many weeks digging and poring cement I knew I really wanted a 3D back wall. I looked at many made backgrounds online which were really costly to DIY foam projects. I had decided that none of these would do and went with the real rock wall aproach. With little more than some basic internet knowlage I went for the plunge. I picked up a half pallet 500 lbs of wall field stone from the stone yard. After a couple of hours digging thru the pallet and washing and scrubing the stone with a brush I let them air dry and prepared to attach them to the wall. I use black GE silicone II with out the anti-mold mildew additive. This was a very slow step, but would pay off in the end. I would start with the largest of the stones on the bottom and puzzle piece my way up. To include covering the two built-in overflows. I would glue the stones and support them with 2x4's for a few days unitl they dryed.

As you can see in the photos I had also built a circluating water jet system that would run in the bottom of the tank. It is two seprate systems and run on two indpentant Rio pumps the would later be placed on the sides of the overflows and covered with rocks. The system was simple made with 1in PVC pipes and s bunch of 45, 90 and tee fittings. To make the jet I heated up small pieces of PCV and soften them in hot water. Once they were soft i crimped them in place with pliers and the cooled and harden into small jet ends.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 pm 

So the wall is done...now filtation. I want to go with something inexpensvise so what comes to mind a sump. I was able to get a used and leaking 55 gal tank for we from craigslist. With a little love and a class on resealing tanks from the PVAS meeting I got it to hold water and with 5 dollars of cut glass from the local window repair place I was in bussiness. I would build 4 chambers one to hold a layering of poret foam and two chambers with plastic pot scrubers, media balls and ceramic.

I pumbed the tank to the filter using 1 1/4 PVC and cut, cap the end and put slits in the top of the runouts in the sump directly above the poret foam.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:35 pm 

Once the filtration was running and there were no leaks it was time to add the substrate and wood. I uses FilPro Filtration sand size 00. This is the finest it comes and at 9.00/50lbs it was very inexpesive to get a nice sand base on the floor of the tank. (about 3 bags) Before putting in the sand I did put a thing layer of peatmoss down( this is a habit I have from planted days) but I think it adds organics to the tank from the start. I layed the sand dwon enough to cover the jets and give a good base. once the san and water was in I turned on the jets and they cleared themselves and water movement was throughout the entire tank at all levels. For all my branches and wood I used Manzanita the I either bought online from plantedtank.net forum or got from local auctions. I also had some from my old planted tanks.

I then added some plants just to get thing going, simple stuff java moss, java fern, jungle val ,cryptos and some sag.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:54 pm 

From here I've just maintaned a tank. I started with Altums back last October and lost everything during the great halloween ice strom of 2011. with Ten days without power and freezing temps it was only a matter of time. With the new fish in the tank and some time I have started my next project ...A rain maker.

This would be harder than I thought but what I have is pretty nice. I uses two sheets of plastic egg crates(for lighting) 20 ft of 1/2in tubing, 2 powerheads and some sheets of the plastic knitting squares.

I attached the tubing in a looping pattern to the egg crate with zipties. Then a drill a ton of hold into the tubing with the smallest bit I could find. Once that was complete I tied the plastic knitting sheets to the tubing and the egg crate. This is to diffuse the sprays of water and make drips. Once that was completed I connected the two powerheads on to each side of the tubing and place them in the built in overflows. This would hide the two pumps from view. Place eveything on the tank and ... we have rain in an uneven pattern.

I will post video very soon!!

Post subject: re: Altum 225 tank build
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:55 am 

Wow very nice, can't wait to see how the tank turned out.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:35 pm 

Here are a couple videos I uploaded to youtube. Let me know what you think.
http://youtu.be/_22QuF-dAuA

http://youtu.be/WO8E6IorDUE

http://youtu.be/pdDZb2cjdBc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:30 pm 

Very nice, liking the rai system. I'll be doing something similar in the near future for my wild rio negro scalares and Leopoldis. Thanks for sharing such a great build.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:37 pm 

Thanks... It has been a project ... But a fun one for sure and the fish are amazing!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:17 am 
Administrator

You're quite an artisan Tbone. Keep us posted. Very realistic by the way... I am sure your fish will appreciate it.
Ed

Last edited by puertoayacucho on Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:40 pm 

Thanks Ed!!!! It has been my goal to try to make it as real as possible. This is our show tank in the house and I thought it would be nice to give the full experiance. Thanks to you and all of your help and advice these Altums have been thriving and doing so well.... Thanks again for your help and kind words..... Any suggestions let me know

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:27 pm 

Trying to tint the water ... Any ideas , I've tryed almond leaves and boiling peat into a tea with little effect.????? Let know know and trick you might be doing?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 pm 

Try alder cones, it's September. Perfect time to pick em.

Here's a good link to quick read: http://www.aldercones.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:08 pm 
Administrator

Catappa Leaves work for me, better than peat, I've also heard good of alder cones but have never used them myself. I ran out of catappa and am waiting on some Mike sent along... hope to get them tomorrow.

Ed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:10 am 
Administrator

I use catappa as well. A tank the size of yours may take as many as 50 leaves to get really dark. Normally I'll use 1 leaf per 10 gallons. The problem for me is that I like to perform large frequent water changes and run a big UV so most of the time I dont use catappa. Package should arrive today Ed.