It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DIY Rimless Tank
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:07 am 

Here are a few pics of some rimless tanks I have been building, the braces are really only for the light fixture to sit on.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: re: DIY Rimless Tank
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:00 pm 
Founder

Do you have any problems with fish jumping out?
Alec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:54 am 

There has only been two times that has happened. It was during the cycling period, but with good water conditions and no fish chasing smaller fish around, it doesn't happen anymore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:41 pm 
Administrator

So then the black rim I see would be actually only the black silicone lining the interior?
Ed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:07 pm 

Yes, I don't have any rim on the tank, I only have black silicone lining on the sides and the bottom of the tank. The picture with the plants was edited to have the two black areas above and below the picture. I'm removing the two glass strips on top of the tank, because I have now built a black ADA style stand and will be hanging pendant lighting above it

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:31 pm 
Administrator

It is a very nice and sobre looking tank. I guess with those thick silicone seams you can get by without the support beams... you should know. If the tank carries a large volume of water (anything over a 55G), me being me, I wouldn't take the risk, I'd use one center beam.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:25 am 

Thanks for the comment. I have built two of these tanks both are about 40 Gallon. I also have a 100 gallon built the exact same way, I didn't realize that the same braces broke loose after the tank had been filled up and running for a while. Once I realized this I drained the tank and refilled it, but this time measuring to see if there was any bowing. All of these tanks are 10mm thick and fortunately there has been no bowing and the tank has no signs on leaking. I also have braces that run the length of the tank but have not installed them. This room is built with a tiled floor that has a drain so if it were to come apart there are no problems.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:23 am 
Administrator

Like I said..you should know. You ought to try and sell them! t look really ergo!
Ed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:42 pm 

Great looking tank. What are the dimensions of the 5o gal?
Willo you please post pics of your stand for the 50 gal. also?
Laurence

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:17 pm 

The dimensions are in centimeters 122X39X39, it equals about 40 Gallons.

The tank stand was built from Luana Plywood with Black Formica, still not finished with it yet. As of today I just finished painting the inside white.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:20 pm 

Here are some pics with the formica added to it

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:51 pm 
Administrator

Tank looks as good as the shop it was made in. Thread needed updating.
Ed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:15 pm 
Global Moderator

I have built over 100 all glass tanks from 4.5 gal/17 liters to 90 gals/340 liters.
The majority were built for hatchery use so they were broad and shallow. My favorite among my decorative tank designs were my 53 gal tanks.
The dimensions of these 53 gal tank is 48 X 16 X 16 inches. They were built from 1/4 inch plate glass with added 3/16 inch longitudinal and center cross braces.

I use as little silicone as possible since only the joints are structural. I do use an inner seal about as wide or slightly less than a commercial tank.
For tanks built out of 1/4 inch/10cm I will go as high as 14 inches without any cross brace.
On breeding style tanks up to 36 inches long and 16 tall you can just glue strips of 3/16 inch glass along the tops of the longest sides. The strip should be about 1-1/8 inches wide. Over 36 inches and higher sides I use the same stiffening strips plus a single cross brace of 3/16 inch X 4 inches glass glued to the bottom sides of the lengthwise strips and the front and back glass. These designs have lasted for decades of use.
I have also used thin strips of 3/16" that act as supports for a plastic hinged cover glass.

I would not trust your design over time. I certainly would not sell them because of liability concerns. I think the excess sealant detracts from a tank's appearance. The interior seal contributes absolutely nothing to the structural strength of an all glass tank. But to each his or her own. The fact that you did experience at least one instance of failure of one of the offset cross braces you say are for only supporting the lights tells me you are walking a very fine line with your design. I spent my professional life as a structural inspector and I know where the stresses are the highest and therefore where and what kind of additional supports are needed.
To me, the beauty of an all glass tank is to create the illusion that there is nothing holding it together yet knowing it has almost no chance of failure.
No tank is without some probability of failure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:28 pm 

I chose to silicone my tanks with such a large seal not because I felt it was needed but because I liked the look of the black silicone around the edges. Over here in korea this style of tank design is very common, and from the looks of the tanks out in the markets, they have more than likely been around for years. The tanks in the pictures were posted a while ago and to this day I have had no problems. These were my first tank builds so I ran into a few problems to begin with, but once I figured out the problem, I fixed it and haven't had any issues yet. I increased the (mm) of the glass and changed the dimensions to that of the ADA tank. My 100 gallon was the only tank during the first build that gave me any issues but as I said before none have given me any issues since my learning experience.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm 
Global Moderator

I understand having different tastes and I have chosen to build some tanks with black, white but mainly clear silicone sealant.

My main concerns are structural. The strength depends of the cross sectional area of the bonds and strength of the glass.

In the USA we would have to choose between 1/4 inch and 3/8 inch thick glass and your glass seems to be closer to the thicker at 11 mm. That is the only way you could have enough bond strength and rigidity of your glass to be able to use that type of a rimless tank.
It would cost so much to buy the glass here that one could not build a very large tank without using the types of added structural elements I described in my tank designs. My way allows me to use thinner glass, be strong enough and come within the budget i would be willing to allot for a given size of tank.
I would not advise making all glass tanks holding more than about 50 US gallons for most DIY tank builder. If you go much larger than that it becomes much cheaper to buy a ready made tank. Usually the point of building your own tank is to make something in the size and shape you want that is not a standard size commercial tank.

So long as your tank is working, is the way you want it and is safe, that is all that really matters.